RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Breaking the Ice in Daily Scrums

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
      I have to say that it surprises me somewhat that there is even such a need for interesting little ploys to get people going at the Scrum meetings. Passing a ball seems reminiscent of kindergarten, and 'bring food' seems a little 'pizza and beer for the game'.

      I will probably not many friends by saying this, but ... surely in the IT industry we are dealing with supposedly well educated, intelligent folks who just do not need animal balloons to make their work day interesting. Or are we? There does seem to be a lot of agonising in these parts about how to get people cooperating and cooperative. Is it a feature of IS people that they are so irresponsible, so unprofessional, so difficult to get cooperation from, that (what I see to be ) silly little ploys must be used all the time to hold their attention?

      I'm all for the inscribed coffee cups and tee shirts that say "I did it, and survived" sort of nonsense ... but it is harmless nonsense and fun, and does acknowledge a job well done, or a difficult situation overcome. But 'bring food' and 'pass the ball' ... really folks??

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: tobyanon@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:56:25 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Breaking the Ice in Daily Scrums

      Marco,
      I believe that thinking of the scrum master/team relationship as being
      akin to a parent/child relationship is very unhealthy. It is
      patronizing and rather insulting to look upon, or treat a group of
      intelligent, skilled, qualified people as children. Surely there is a
      better metaphor to describe this relationship.
      Tobias

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "Marco Milone"
      <marco.milone@ ...> wrote:

      > Get a ball (or any item which your team would be comfortable with) and
      have people pass it to the person they want to hear from, until
      everybody has spoken.

      > It is quite natural that daily stand-ups begin as
      reporting-to- management- like meetings. It takes time for people to learn
      to take back their responsibility and sense of ownership, which they
      have had to give up previously, by learning to "do what you are asked
      to".

      > I have found that it also helps to make the team focus on the burndown
      chart and have them come up with insights/comments as to how the team is
      doing in terms of delivering what they committed to, what blockers have
      impacted the velocity, whether someone needs help to finish off a story,
      etc.

      > It also takes effort for management to learn to let go of their thrist
      for control and power.

      > I always think of it as a parents & children relationship, where the
      child slowly grows and learns to take ownership of his own actions, and
      the parents learn to let go and provide an encouraging environment for
      change to take place in their children. These two are reciprocal, and
      one action reinforces the other.

      > All the best,
      >
      > Marco
      >

      > ____________ _________ _________ __

      problems I'm encountering is that the daily scrum meetings are fairly
      awkward. I have to prompt each person in turn to speak by saying to
      them, "so how did everything go with you yesterday and what are you
      looking at today?" If I don't do this then we have awkward silence for
      a while - nobody will step up and start talking about their sprint
      unless I turn to them and ask them to.

      > I'm unhappy about this because I want people to feel like they're
      accountable to everyone on the team, not to be accountable to me. I
      don't want people to be waiting to be prompted to speak about their work
      - I want them to be dynamic and discuss things openly.

      > The team is very small and everyone's comfortable around each other,
      so it's not due to any shyness. It's also true that once conversation
      has started people will generally talk freely.

      > Has anyone else who's encountered this found a solution for it?
      >

      > Thanks!
      >

      > Andrew Burrows
      > Senior Producer/Designer
      > Large Animal Games
      > 115 West 29th St., New York
      > Mobile - 917-312-6267
      > Email - andy@...
      >

      > For the most important conference on Software testing and quality
      visit www.sqs-conferences .com

      e-mail is strictly forbidden.

      > SQS-UK: SQS Group Limited | Incorporated in England and Wales |
      Registered No. 2857864 | VAT No. 788 1795 61
      > SQS-Ire: SQS Software Quality Systems (Ireland) Limited |
      Incorporated in Ireland | Registered No. 307763 | Vat No. IE6327763G
      > SQS-SA: South African Branch office of SQS Group Limited | Registered
      in South Africa | Registered No. 2004/010639/ 10 | Vat No. 40602176781

      Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au. It's simple!
    • Joakim Karlsson
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
        Andrew,

        I would ask the team the same question that you posted to the list.
        Either at the daily scrum or at the retrospective.

        "Hey, I'm noticing that the daily scrums isn't going as well they
        should. Here's what I see. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?"

        Try getting a discussion within the team going so that you have
        something to refer to during the daily scrums.

        Joakim Karlsson
        http://www.jkarlsson.com/blog