To SCRUM or not

  • Banibrata Dutta
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2007
      Hi,

      I've been following this group's posts for a while, and also have read some bit of material on Scrum etc., however, in everyother way, my experience with Scrum is "theoretical". Given a situation description, I'd request the practitioners and experts to kindly comment, if Scrum would be appropriate in the given situation or not.

      1) Product in question (objective of development), as we understand it currently, has 15% UI/presentation, 70% application (business) logic, 15% support utilities/tools.
      2) Development team is a mix of people with varying skill-sets and expertise. Some actually are fairly good already, and some need some (infrequent) hand-holding. Team though is a lot more comfortable with waterfall model.
      3) No one with real Scrum experience (no purists), however, people have some exposure to Scrum-like methodologies. There is no certified Scrum master, and most of all, no budget to hire an expert to tutor / hand-hold this team (or Scrum master).
      4) Development schedule is quite tight.
      5) 75% of product requirements are known upfront (right now). Only 25% is expected to evolve / change in next 3-4 months. Real-customer (external) doesn't care about Agility, and doesn't need to / expect-to see snapshots periodically (well they'd be happy to see monthly or every-other-monthly milestone based progress). However, considering our management as an internal customer, they'd like to see more frequent milestones being met.

      To me, it looks like something with which Scrum would be too much of a risk (at the moment), and might be simpler to stick to waterfall. Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

      thanks & regards,
      Banibrata