RE: [scrumdevelopment] RE: [scrum development] Scrum master and project manager

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2007
      Hi Kellie,

      And exactly where does COBOL mean that you cannot do 'agile'? Seriously, I cannot think of any reason why COBOL is inherently unable to done in an agile manner. Perhaps you are in a traditional CICS environment where there is significant ceremony in getting your CICS programs registered, and you have a traditional DBA who sees HIS database as being his preserve, and you have to jump through hoops to get CICS interfaces registered, and anyway, that sort of thing is only done once a week.  But these ar just imposed traditional barriers to agile, not agile problem per se.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: kellie.morrell@...
      Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:59:45 -0500
      Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] RE: [scrum development] Scrum master and project manager

      Roy, You are using agile for mainframe COBOL projects? Perhaps it is our
      culture, but our agile projects are portal, web, Java, and data warehouse
      type projects.

      Kellie Morrell, PMP
      Mutual of Omaha
      I/S - Finance Support - IFS Team
      kellie.morrell@ mutualofomaha. com
      402-351-5595

      "Roy Morien"
      <roymorien@hotmai
      l.com> To
      Sent by: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      scrumdevelopment@ cc
      yahoogroups. com
      Subject
      RE: [scrumdevelopment] RE: [scrum
      10/25/2007 07:46 development] Scrum master and
      AM project manager

      Please respond to
      scrumdevelopment@
      yahoogroups. com

      Why would it necessarily be waterfall on mainframes? Why are you using agile
      methods, and what results have you had?

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: kellie.morrell@ mutualofomaha. com
      Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:40:35 -0500
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] RE: [scrum development] Scrum master and project
      manager

      A product project will focus on creation on a new product (physical product
      like a new computer or a financial product like insurance product). The
      primary difference is the ROI can be recaptured in a few months (versus
      years) if the sell of the new product is as expected. So these projects
      get high visibility and tend to have a quick implementation to be first on
      the market. They can be either waterfall or agile. At my organization, it
      will depend if the platforms (numerous Admin systems) that are main frames
      then it will be waterfall. If a web and portal can be used, then it is
      typically agile.

      Kellie Morrell, PMP
      Mutual of Omaha
      I/S - Finance Support - IFS Team
      kellie.morrell@ mutualofomaha. com
      402-351-5595

      "Roy Morien"
      <roymorien@hotmai
      l.com> To
      Sent by: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      scrumdevelopment@ cc
      yahoogroups. com
      Subject
      RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum master
      10/24/2007 06:57 and project manager
      PM

      Please respond to
      scrumdevelopment@
      yahoogroups. com

      Kellie, what is a 'product project'? Apart from the cultural difference that
      you
      refer to, are there any special characteristics of 'product projects' that
      makes a
      plan-driven approach more viable?

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: kellie.morrell@ mutualofomaha. com
      Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:55:20 -0500

      Andrew, we have both PMs and Scrum Masters (SMs) at our organization. PMs
      still do the product projects in a waterfall methodology. SMs do the web
      development & data projects using Agile techniques. It is not that the
      product projects can not use Agile, lean or XP. It is more a culture
      difference that is slowly dissolving.

      We also have Program managers that manage multiple projects (both waterfall
      and agile).

      Kellie

      "Tompkins,
      Andrew"
      <tompkinsa@bantre To
      l.com> scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      Sent by: cc
      scrumdevelopment@
      yahoogroups. com Subject
      [scrumdevelopment] Scrum master and
      project manager
      10/24/2007 08:48
      AM

      Please respond to
      scrumdevelopment@
      yahoogroups. com

      Hi,

      Our company has both scrum masters and project managers on a project (not
      the same
      person). I’m just wondering how many other companies out there are doing the

      same
      thing, and what are the duties of your scrum masters in that environment. Do

      you
      think it works out well?

      Thanks,

      Andrew

      please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete
      this e-mail and destroy any copies.

      Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other
      than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.

      This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
      solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material that is legally

      privileged, proprietary or subject to copyright belonging to Mutual of Omaha

      Insurance Company and its affiliates, and it may be subject to protection
      under federal or state law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
      notified that any use of this material is strictly prohibited. If you
      received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately
      by replying to this e-mail and delete the material from your system. Mutual
      of Omaha Insurance Company may archive e-mails, which may be accessed by
      authorized persons and may be produced to other parties, including public
      authorities, in compliance with applicable laws.

      Find it at www.seek.com. au Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it!

      Join Lavalife for free. What are you waiting for?

      Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.