Re: [scrumdevelopment] Iteration Length

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
      Phlip wrote:

      >Not sure how many plurals under "we" here. There are
      >those who think that a young team should never vary
      >iteration length from iteration to iteration, and that
      >a mature team shouldn't have a reason to. Do you mean
      >that one team looks at its stack of stories and sets
      >iteration length accordingly?

      We is Industrial Logic. We don't generally vary iteration length.
      However, we have changed iteration length mid-project, when we found
      that the length wasn't working well. We also once extended an iteration
      by a week, as it was the last iteration before going into production and
      it just felt right to the whole team to take an extra week for our work.

      I once considered 1-week iterations to be a bad idea. "We'll spend too
      much time planning and not have enough time programming." When I got
      over my fear and actually tried it, I found that I loved 1-week
      iterations. Customers learn to plan more efficiently by doing
      continuous iteration planning preparation, customers gets to make
      finer-grained changes to the plan and programmers have less time to do
      wasteful work.

      In our workshops, we do 3-hour iterations. That's like working under a
      high-powered microscope -- every flaw gets revealed, which tends to
      leads folks to important insights.

      best regards,
      jk

      --
      I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
      Joshua Kerievsky
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
        We are currently using one week interations with success. We have a couple of reasons for doing just this. The development team and the business are both relatively new to Agile and we are trying to expose everybody to different types of situations quickly. We hope people will learn about the whole life cycle of an Agile project faster. By making the iterations more frequent, we get more practice with the overall Agile experience. We may be trading off some efficiency for some beneift in education, but everybody understands that the iteration length can change when it is considered necessary to do so.

        The only drawback we have seen is that the development team fizzles out close to the end of the iteration. The tasks will be all complete but people don't want to admit it because the one week iterations make them feel constantly under pressure. The developers don't really like the feeling that they can't vary thier effort depending on mood, health, or other external stimuli. Some developers believe that one month long iteration allows them more freedom to vary thier pace, and that the one week iteration is too much pressure. Very similar to micro management.

        Regards,

        Patrick Parato
        CertaPay
        Toronto, Canada
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
          Joshua Kerievsky wrote:

          > I once considered 1-week iterations to be a bad
          > idea.

          Weeks are biological, and part of our circadian
          rhythms. (Of course months are too, which we derive
          weeks from.)

          I suspect even rats kept in isolation from cues to the
          date vary their activity patterns in synch with human
          weekends.

          =====
          Phlip

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • Michael Campbell
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
            Phlip wrote:

            > Weeks are biological, and part of our circadian
            > rhythms. (Of course months are too, which we derive
            > weeks from.)

            Never knew that. Why is it then that only 1 month, and then only
            75% of the time even HAS an integral # of them?

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
              Patrick Parato wrote:

              > We are currently using one week interations with success. We have a
              > couple of reasons for doing just this. The development team and the
              > business are both relatively new to Agile and we are trying to expose
              > everybody to different types of situations quickly. We hope people
              > will learn about the whole life cycle of an Agile project faster. By
              > making the iterations more frequent, we get more practice with the
              > overall Agile experience. We may be trading off some efficiency for
              > some beneift in education, but everybody understands that the
              > iteration length can change when it is considered necessary to do so.
              >
              > The only drawback we have seen is that the development team fizzles
              > out close to the end of the iteration. The tasks will be all complete
              > but people don't want to admit it because the one week iterations make
              > them feel constantly under pressure. The developers don't really like
              > the feeling that they can't vary thier effort depending on mood,
              > health, or other external stimuli. Some developers believe that one
              > month long iteration allows them more freedom to vary thier pace, and
              > that the one week iteration is too much pressure. Very similar to
              > micro management.

              By planning according to a team's velocity (which is calculated at every
              iteration end), XPers ensure that programmers have enough time to
              implement iteration stories using good development practices without
              feeling under pressure. Feeling under pressure results from committing
              to doing too much during a given period of time. So 1-week iterations
              don't cause pressure. Taking on more work than you can do causes
              pressure. Yet many programmers haven't yet had that insight.

              best regards
              jk
            • Phlip
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                Michael Campbell wrote:

                > Never knew that. Why is it then that only 1 month,
                > and then only
                > 75% of the time even HAS an integral # of them?

                Uh, because periods of the rotation of the Earth, its
                orbit, and the Moon's orbit all don't divide evenly?

                =====
                Phlip

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
              • Steven Gordon
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                  That would argue that days and months (and years) are natural, but not weeks.
                  > Never knew that.  Why is it then that only 1 month,
                  > and then only
                  > 75% of the time even HAS an integral # of them?

                  Uh, because periods of the rotation of the Earth, its
                  orbit, and the Moon's orbit all don't divide evenly?

                  =====
                  Phlip

                • J. B. Rainsberger
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                    Ken Schwaber wrote:

                    > What is the optimal length of an iteation, and what are the factors
                    > that are relevant to the various lengths of iterations that are
                    > deemed most appropriate?

                    I have enjoyed two-weeks iterations to start a project, then one-week
                    iterations, as needed, towards the release date.

                    The idea is that we need larger chunks of time to hit our stride and to
                    allow for some experimental error. Without that experimental time, we
                    tend not to learn as much, which inhibits our ability to prepare for the
                    next game.

                    I find that one-week iterations are best for focusing on doing what we
                    know how to do. At this granularity, we can steer very well. I find that
                    two-week iterations are best when we need to learn things, because then
                    we feel less pressure when we might accidentally burn a day or two going
                    down a rathole.
                    --
                    J. B. Rainsberger,
                    Diaspar Software Services
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 11, 2004
                      I totally agree. I have implemented an agile process with four (4)
                      one (1) week iterations enveloped within a 30 day Scrum Sprint. The
                      one week XP interations enforce good engineering practices and the 30
                      day sprint ensures business to technical community alignment. The
                      team meets Monday morning and establishes goals for the week - taken
                      from sprint backlog.

                      The daily standup reflects on the progress for the. The team has an
                      option to change the goals for the week on Wednesday, as it is a mid-
                      point and the team generally has a very good idea on whether the
                      goals will be met on Friday. On Friday, the team confirms the
                      deliverables. From the engineering perspective, the once the team
                      commits to the Friday goals, no one leaves until the team has
                      delivered the goals and an integration build completed and all
                      testcases executed.

                      Tareq

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kerievsky <jlk@i...>

                    • Ken Schwaber
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 11, 2004
                        Does the length of the iteration have any impact on the granularity of the
                        input (Stories, Product Backlog). What is the type of demonstration that is
                        desired at the end of the iteration?
                        Ken

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 12, 2004
                          Ken Schwaber wrote:

                          >Does the length of the iteration have any impact on the granularity of the
                          >input (Stories, Product Backlog). What is the type of demonstration that is
                          >desired at the end of the iteration?

                          The sizing of iteration stories isn't impacted by iteration length, at least the way we do it. At the end of each iteration, a customer demonstrates the new features we've added to the system. Of late, the customer also demonstrates some of the FIT-based storytests we've produced. Upper management attends these iteration demonstrations. We find that they like to see both the system and a few of its new storytests.

                          best regards,
                          jk

                          --
                          I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
                          Joshua Kerievsky
                          Founder, Extreme Programmer & Coach
                          http://industriallogic.com
                          http://industrialxp.org
                          866-540-8336 (toll free)
                          510-540-8336 (phone)
                          Berkeley, California
                        • Devon Miller
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                            Actually, weeks are natural too. They correspond to the phases of the moon
                            New moon, waxing quarter, full moon, waning quarter.

                            Steven Gordon wrote:

                            > That would argue that days and months (and years) are natural, but not
                            > weeks.

                          • Phlip
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                              Devon Miller wrote:

                              > Actually, weeks are natural too. They correspond to
                              > the phases of the moon
                              > New moon, waxing quarter, full moon, waning quarter.

                              Ken pointed out he forbade the Industrial Logic
                              metaphor of "nebulous units of time" because nobody
                              needed "we got big NUTs" getting back to any number of
                              Human Resource Departments.

                              (I wax nostalgic for Omnigon's way cool HR department.
                              Whenever she wandered into the programming pit we'd
                              drop what we were doing and indulge in the most
                              advanced and witty HR harrassment. She know'd she'd
                              had to start this with her standard lecture at hiring
                              time; we all had a blast. But some HR is hired because
                              they help the brass think they'l reduce their odds of
                              getting sued.)

                              Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
                              don't "believe in" bicameralism, or this or that
                              diety, or lunar phases, to opt-out without limiting
                              their own career.

                              A lunar week is a nebulous unit of time - 7 days ~11
                              hours - and matching iterations to it would cause
                              friction on two fronts - the business calendar and the
                              diversity aspect.

                              But evoking biological circadian rhythms as the
                              natural basis for our calendar, and iteration lengths,
                              might be pragmatic.

                              =====
                              Phlip

                              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                            • Doug Swartz
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                                Saturday, February 14, 2004, 4:52:41 AM, Phlip wrote:

                                > Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
                                > don't "believe in" bicameralism, ....

                                Some of us in Nebraska, various Canadian provinces, and 50
                                some democratic nations around the world, take issue with your
                                blatant anti-unicameral bias. Our "uni's" are just as capable
                                of passing stupid legislation at the speed of a glacier, as
                                your "bi's"! But, we only have to pay one legislator, instead
                                of two.

                                The moderators of this esteemed list should take note of your
                                predilection to promote mono-culture and consider banning your
                                deviant opinions from the list.

                                --

                                ;-)
                                Doug Swartz
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                                  Doug Swartz wrote:

                                  > Phlip wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
                                  > > don't "believe in" bicameralism, ....
                                  >
                                  > Some of us in Nebraska, various Canadian provinces,
                                  > and 50
                                  > some democratic nations around the world, take issue
                                  > with your
                                  > blatant anti-unicameral bias. Our "uni's" are just
                                  > as capable
                                  > of passing stupid legislation at the speed of a
                                  > glacier, as
                                  > your "bi's"! But, we only have to pay one
                                  > legislator, instead
                                  > of two.

                                  <ponderously>
                                  And that was how, in early 2004, the
                                  beginnings of a schism appeared in the
                                  previously solid mailing list,
                                  ScrumDevelopment...
                                  </ponderously>

                                  > The moderators of this esteemed list should take
                                  > note of your
                                  > predilection to promote mono-culture and consider
                                  > banning your
                                  > deviant opinions from the list.

                                  Hey - my coffee is shade-grown, pal!

                                  > ;-)
                                  > Doug Swartz
                                  > daswartz@...

                                  ( http://eatthestate.org/05-22/FairTradeCoffee.htm for
                                  those who didn't catch that last one... )

                                  =====