Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Iteration Length

  • PaulOldfield1@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 8, 2004
      (responding to Ron)

      >> About the only general, all-purpose reply I can give is
      >> that if iterations are too long, people spend too long
      >> 'relaxing' at the start of an iteration, and either the work
      >> rate slows or there's too much to be covered in the
      >> panic period at the end of the iteration; and if iterations
      >> are too short, the panic period at the end of an iteration
      >> takes up too much of the overall time and people
      >> start to burn out.
      >
      > What are the issues around skipping or shortening the
      > panic period?

      Anything that can shorten the relaxation period and the
      panic period has got to be good. (?) More up-front
      analysis of the requirements seems to allow finer
      subdivision of requirements; finer subdivision of
      requirements seems to allow a regular pace throughout
      the iteration. I think the issues will be about how much
      up-front analysis is the right amount, and how much
      this varies between projects. We may end up with a
      trade-off between doing more up-front analysis and
      having a steady pace through the iteration.
      Feel free to differ.

      Paul Oldfield
      www.aptprocess.com
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 8, 2004
        I've come to prefer two-week iterations. With a team that is very
        experienced and has worked together for a long time I've had good success
        with four weeks. In general, though, two seems better. It gets a bit frantic
        with two week iterations to do all the planning and prep work. For example,
        we just finished a sprint on last Thursday. Friday was devoted to the sprint
        review and sprint planning. On Tuesday and Wednesday of this week (or just
        over a week from the next sprint start the following Friday) there will be
        planning meetings where the product owner and stakeholders argue about what
        to prioritize highest. The team isn't necessarily in these (some often are
        for short parts) but they take a lot of my time as ScrumMaster. Often out of
        these meetings we come up with new priorities or partial priorities from old
        ones--these require the team to estimate new work which we do some morning
        after the daily scrum.

        --Mike

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 8, 2004
          I went from doing 3 week iteraions to lots of 2 week iterations to lots
          of 1 week iterations. Now we routinely do either 1 or 2 week
          iterations. We prefer to do 1-week iterations. However, we find that 2
          week iterations work better for our C++ clients, since they tend to have
          a lot of legacy code, which slows everything down. --jk
        • Matt Bennett
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 8, 2004
            > Message: 5
            > Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:16:28 -0000
            > From: "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>
            > Subject: Iteration Length
            >
            > What is the optimal length of an iteation, and what are the factors
            > that are relevant to the various lengths of iterations that are
            > deemed most appropriate?
            > Ken

            Ken-

            I have been thinking more about this question of iteration length lately. I
            had a good bit of success 2 years ago as a developer on a couple XP projects
            with 2 or 3 week iterations. Now I am managing a team using mostly SCRUM
            elements. The team as a whole is on one-month cycles. This team is made up
            of 18 individuals including 3 business analysts, 1 architect, 1 ui designer,
            8 developers, and 5 testers. I have separated this group into 2 teams: the
            analysis team and the implementation team. The analysis team is always
            researching functional and technical specs for enhancements with both
            internal and external customers. These enhancements are coded and tested
            within the next month or so by the other team. The developers and testers
            work closely together to (drum-roll please) code and test all functionality
            that their team committed to for the month by the end of the month.

            So back to your question on iteration length, one month just seems too long
            for development. It is easy for the team to lack urgency early in the
            month, lose focus in the middle of the month, and finally have to pour all
            that urgency and focus into the last week or so. In my past experience,
            shorter iterations of 2 weeks seem to keep the pace moving. As a developer
            you knew that what you committed to needed to be completed soon, before you
            are working on something else. However, one month iterations are great for
            project reporting. I am starting to move towards a model of 2 week
            iterations for coding and testing within a monthly reporting of the planning
            and progress of the team.

            So my thoughts are that some of the factors of iteration length are:
            -Maturity of the items in the backlog: Is enough known about the items to
            start coding them almost immediately?
            -Size of the items: I have long argued that in new development that any
            piece of work can be broken down into smaller bits of work that can fit a
            small iteration cycle and still deliver complete functionality with each
            iteration. However, my thoughts on this have changed a bit since working on
            significant enhancements to an enterprise product. Many items require
            several developers for several weeks approaching an enhancement holistically
            to ensure that complete functionality can be delivered without adversely
            impacting the existing system.
            -Who/What are the iterations for? Management, the developers, the analysts,
            external customers? This probably seems like something that should strictly
            be driven by the development cycles, but sometimes the access to the
            customers is not frequent enough for shorter iterations. Of course that
            just points at a larger problem of customer involvement, but this cannot be
            ignored as a valid factor.
            -What is the intent of the iteration- to deliver new, tested functionality
            into a system? It seems that including the iteration planning meeting, the
            coding, the testing, the deployment, and the review meeting even for small
            items requires no less than 2 weeks from end-to-end.

            Since this is getting rather long-winded, I'll wait to see how others reply
            or add to this before I add more to this.

            Deceivingly simple question Ken asked isn't it? :)

            -Matt Bennett
          • Phlip
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 8, 2004
              Joshua Kerievsky wrote:

              > I went from doing 3 week iteraions to lots of 2 week
              > iterations to lots
              > of 1 week iterations. Now we routinely do either 1
              > or 2 week
              > iterations. We prefer to do 1-week iterations.
              > However, we find that 2
              > week iterations work better for our C++ clients,
              > since they tend to have
              > a lot of legacy code, which slows everything down.
              > --jk

              Not sure how many plurals under "we" here. There are
              those who think that a young team should never vary
              iteration length from iteration to iteration, and that
              a mature team shouldn't have a reason to. Do you mean
              that one team looks at its stack of stories and sets
              iteration length accordingly?

              Call this the "rhythm method"...

              =====
              Phlip

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
            • acockburn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 8, 2004
                I read this as "we" Industrial Logic, with various clients .... some clients get 1-week iterations, some get 2-week iterations. The clients getting 2-week iterations tend to be those using C++.  I don't see an indication in Joshua's note that iteration length varies within a project, although with a mature team, I don't see that they couldn't arbitrarily change the iteration length to suit the circumstances discovered on planning day.

                In a message dated 2/8/2004 9:40:10 PM Mountain Standard Time, phlipcpp@... writes:
                Joshua Kerievsky wrote:

                > I went from doing 3 week iteraions to lots of 2 week
                > iterations to lots
                > of 1 week iterations.  Now we routinely do either 1
                > or 2 week
                > iterations.  We prefer to do 1-week iterations.
                > However, we find that 2
                > week iterations work better for our C++ clients,
                > since they tend to have
                > a lot of legacy code, which slows everything down.
                > --jk

                Not sure how many plurals under "we" here. There are
                those who think that a young team should never vary
                iteration length from iteration to iteration, and that
                a mature team shouldn't have a reason to. Do you mean
                that one team looks at its stack of stories and sets
                iteration length accordingly?

                Call this the "rhythm method"...

                =====
                Phlip
                Alistair Cockburn
                President, Humans and Technology

                http://alistair.cockburn.us alistair.cockburn@...
                1814 E. Fort Douglas Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84103
                Phone: 801.582-3162            Fax: 775.416.6457

                Author of
                "Surviving Object-Oriented Projects" (1998)
                "Writing Effective Use Cases" (Jolt Productivity Award 2001)
                "Agile Software Development" (Jolt Productivity Award 2002)

              • Phlip
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                  acockburn@... wrote:

                  > I read this as "we" Industrial Logic, with various
                  > clients .... some clients
                  > get 1-week iterations, some get 2-week iterations.
                  > The clients getting 2-week
                  > iterations tend to be those using C++. I don't see
                  > an indication in Joshua's
                  > note that iteration length varies within a project,
                  > although with a mature
                  > team, I don't see that they couldn't arbitrarily
                  > change the iteration length to
                  > suit the circumstances discovered on planning day.

                  I wasn't accusing.

                  I pointed out his exact text was ambiguous, by adding
                  the "rhythm method" context to the thread. Among its
                  quantifyable benefits are a stable Yesterday's Weather
                  metric - or so I'm told. Accuse whoever told me that.

                  > "La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste
                  > rien a ajouter,
                  > mais quand il ne reste rien a enlever."
                  > (Saint-Exupery)

                  "le meilleur est l'ennemi du bien" ([apocryphally] Voltaire)

                  =====
                  Phlip

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                • Karl Scotland
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004

                    A great ScrumMaster once told me, "It depends on common sense" :)

                    Personally, I'm doing one week iterations wih my team at the moment. I
                    wouldn't necessarily work the same way with every team though. Others
                    seem to be saying the same thing.

                    Factirs which would affect my decision would include...
                    1) Business chaos - a business which is really ducking and diving would
                    benefit from shorter iterations.
                    2) Project length - the shorter the overall projects, the shorter the
                    iterations.
                    3) Technical ability - shorter iterations benefit less mature teams
                    because they promote more focus.

                    If I was working with a great team, on a longterm project, for a stable
                    business, I'd probably consider monthly iterations.

                    I've submitted a paper on doing weekly iterations with Scrum and XP for
                    the gathering. Hope it gets accepted :)

                    Karl

                    BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

                    stated.
                    BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
                  • Joshua Kerievsky
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                      Phlip wrote:

                      >Not sure how many plurals under "we" here. There are
                      >those who think that a young team should never vary
                      >iteration length from iteration to iteration, and that
                      >a mature team shouldn't have a reason to. Do you mean
                      >that one team looks at its stack of stories and sets
                      >iteration length accordingly?

                      We is Industrial Logic. We don't generally vary iteration length.
                      However, we have changed iteration length mid-project, when we found
                      that the length wasn't working well. We also once extended an iteration
                      by a week, as it was the last iteration before going into production and
                      it just felt right to the whole team to take an extra week for our work.

                      I once considered 1-week iterations to be a bad idea. "We'll spend too
                      much time planning and not have enough time programming." When I got
                      over my fear and actually tried it, I found that I loved 1-week
                      iterations. Customers learn to plan more efficiently by doing
                      continuous iteration planning preparation, customers gets to make
                      finer-grained changes to the plan and programmers have less time to do
                      wasteful work.

                      In our workshops, we do 3-hour iterations. That's like working under a
                      high-powered microscope -- every flaw gets revealed, which tends to
                      leads folks to important insights.

                      best regards,
                      jk

                      --
                      I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
                      Joshua Kerievsky
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                        We are currently using one week interations with success. We have a couple of reasons for doing just this. The development team and the business are both relatively new to Agile and we are trying to expose everybody to different types of situations quickly. We hope people will learn about the whole life cycle of an Agile project faster. By making the iterations more frequent, we get more practice with the overall Agile experience. We may be trading off some efficiency for some beneift in education, but everybody understands that the iteration length can change when it is considered necessary to do so.

                        The only drawback we have seen is that the development team fizzles out close to the end of the iteration. The tasks will be all complete but people don't want to admit it because the one week iterations make them feel constantly under pressure. The developers don't really like the feeling that they can't vary thier effort depending on mood, health, or other external stimuli. Some developers believe that one month long iteration allows them more freedom to vary thier pace, and that the one week iteration is too much pressure. Very similar to micro management.

                        Regards,

                        Patrick Parato
                        CertaPay
                        Toronto, Canada
                      • Phlip
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                          Joshua Kerievsky wrote:

                          > I once considered 1-week iterations to be a bad
                          > idea.

                          Weeks are biological, and part of our circadian
                          rhythms. (Of course months are too, which we derive
                          weeks from.)

                          I suspect even rats kept in isolation from cues to the
                          date vary their activity patterns in synch with human
                          weekends.

                          =====
                          Phlip

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                        • Michael Campbell
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                            Phlip wrote:

                            > Weeks are biological, and part of our circadian
                            > rhythms. (Of course months are too, which we derive
                            > weeks from.)

                            Never knew that. Why is it then that only 1 month, and then only
                            75% of the time even HAS an integral # of them?

                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                              Patrick Parato wrote:

                              > We are currently using one week interations with success. We have a
                              > couple of reasons for doing just this. The development team and the
                              > business are both relatively new to Agile and we are trying to expose
                              > everybody to different types of situations quickly. We hope people
                              > will learn about the whole life cycle of an Agile project faster. By
                              > making the iterations more frequent, we get more practice with the
                              > overall Agile experience. We may be trading off some efficiency for
                              > some beneift in education, but everybody understands that the
                              > iteration length can change when it is considered necessary to do so.
                              >
                              > The only drawback we have seen is that the development team fizzles
                              > out close to the end of the iteration. The tasks will be all complete
                              > but people don't want to admit it because the one week iterations make
                              > them feel constantly under pressure. The developers don't really like
                              > the feeling that they can't vary thier effort depending on mood,
                              > health, or other external stimuli. Some developers believe that one
                              > month long iteration allows them more freedom to vary thier pace, and
                              > that the one week iteration is too much pressure. Very similar to
                              > micro management.

                              By planning according to a team's velocity (which is calculated at every
                              iteration end), XPers ensure that programmers have enough time to
                              implement iteration stories using good development practices without
                              feeling under pressure. Feeling under pressure results from committing
                              to doing too much during a given period of time. So 1-week iterations
                              don't cause pressure. Taking on more work than you can do causes
                              pressure. Yet many programmers haven't yet had that insight.

                              best regards
                              jk
                            • Phlip
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                                Michael Campbell wrote:

                                > Never knew that. Why is it then that only 1 month,
                                > and then only
                                > 75% of the time even HAS an integral # of them?

                                Uh, because periods of the rotation of the Earth, its
                                orbit, and the Moon's orbit all don't divide evenly?

                                =====
                                Phlip

                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                              • Steven Gordon
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                                  That would argue that days and months (and years) are natural, but not weeks.
                                  > Never knew that.  Why is it then that only 1 month,
                                  > and then only
                                  > 75% of the time even HAS an integral # of them?

                                  Uh, because periods of the rotation of the Earth, its
                                  orbit, and the Moon's orbit all don't divide evenly?

                                  =====
                                  Phlip

                                • J. B. Rainsberger
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 9, 2004
                                    Ken Schwaber wrote:

                                    > What is the optimal length of an iteation, and what are the factors
                                    > that are relevant to the various lengths of iterations that are
                                    > deemed most appropriate?

                                    I have enjoyed two-weeks iterations to start a project, then one-week
                                    iterations, as needed, towards the release date.

                                    The idea is that we need larger chunks of time to hit our stride and to
                                    allow for some experimental error. Without that experimental time, we
                                    tend not to learn as much, which inhibits our ability to prepare for the
                                    next game.

                                    I find that one-week iterations are best for focusing on doing what we
                                    know how to do. At this granularity, we can steer very well. I find that
                                    two-week iterations are best when we need to learn things, because then
                                    we feel less pressure when we might accidentally burn a day or two going
                                    down a rathole.
                                    --
                                    J. B. Rainsberger,
                                    Diaspar Software Services
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 11, 2004
                                      I totally agree. I have implemented an agile process with four (4)
                                      one (1) week iterations enveloped within a 30 day Scrum Sprint. The
                                      one week XP interations enforce good engineering practices and the 30
                                      day sprint ensures business to technical community alignment. The
                                      team meets Monday morning and establishes goals for the week - taken
                                      from sprint backlog.

                                      The daily standup reflects on the progress for the. The team has an
                                      option to change the goals for the week on Wednesday, as it is a mid-
                                      point and the team generally has a very good idea on whether the
                                      goals will be met on Friday. On Friday, the team confirms the
                                      deliverables. From the engineering perspective, the once the team
                                      commits to the Friday goals, no one leaves until the team has
                                      delivered the goals and an integration build completed and all
                                      testcases executed.

                                      Tareq

                                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kerievsky <jlk@i...>

                                    • Ken Schwaber
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 11, 2004
                                        Does the length of the iteration have any impact on the granularity of the
                                        input (Stories, Product Backlog). What is the type of demonstration that is
                                        desired at the end of the iteration?
                                        Ken

                                        I went from doing 3 week iteraions to lots of 2 week iterations to lots
                                        of 1 week iterations. Now we routinely do either 1 or 2 week
                                        iterations. We prefer to do 1-week iterations. However, we find that 2
                                        week iterations work better for our C++ clients, since they tend to have
                                        a lot of legacy code, which slows everything down. --jk

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • Joshua Kerievsky
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 12, 2004
                                          Ken Schwaber wrote:

                                          >Does the length of the iteration have any impact on the granularity of the
                                          >input (Stories, Product Backlog). What is the type of demonstration that is
                                          >desired at the end of the iteration?

                                          The sizing of iteration stories isn't impacted by iteration length, at least the way we do it. At the end of each iteration, a customer demonstrates the new features we've added to the system. Of late, the customer also demonstrates some of the FIT-based storytests we've produced. Upper management attends these iteration demonstrations. We find that they like to see both the system and a few of its new storytests.

                                          best regards,
                                          jk

                                          --
                                          I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
                                          Joshua Kerievsky
                                          Founder, Extreme Programmer & Coach
                                          http://industriallogic.com
                                          http://industrialxp.org
                                          866-540-8336 (toll free)
                                          510-540-8336 (phone)
                                          Berkeley, California
                                        • Devon Miller
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                                            Actually, weeks are natural too. They correspond to the phases of the moon
                                            New moon, waxing quarter, full moon, waning quarter.

                                            Steven Gordon wrote:

                                            > That would argue that days and months (and years) are natural, but not
                                            > weeks.

                                          • Phlip
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                                              Devon Miller wrote:

                                              > Actually, weeks are natural too. They correspond to
                                              > the phases of the moon
                                              > New moon, waxing quarter, full moon, waning quarter.

                                              Ken pointed out he forbade the Industrial Logic
                                              metaphor of "nebulous units of time" because nobody
                                              needed "we got big NUTs" getting back to any number of
                                              Human Resource Departments.

                                              (I wax nostalgic for Omnigon's way cool HR department.
                                              Whenever she wandered into the programming pit we'd
                                              drop what we were doing and indulge in the most
                                              advanced and witty HR harrassment. She know'd she'd
                                              had to start this with her standard lecture at hiring
                                              time; we all had a blast. But some HR is hired because
                                              they help the brass think they'l reduce their odds of
                                              getting sued.)

                                              Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
                                              don't "believe in" bicameralism, or this or that
                                              diety, or lunar phases, to opt-out without limiting
                                              their own career.

                                              A lunar week is a nebulous unit of time - 7 days ~11
                                              hours - and matching iterations to it would cause
                                              friction on two fronts - the business calendar and the
                                              diversity aspect.

                                              But evoking biological circadian rhythms as the
                                              natural basis for our calendar, and iteration lengths,
                                              might be pragmatic.

                                              =====
                                              Phlip

                                              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                                            • Doug Swartz
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                                                Saturday, February 14, 2004, 4:52:41 AM, Phlip wrote:

                                                > Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
                                                > don't "believe in" bicameralism, ....

                                                Some of us in Nebraska, various Canadian provinces, and 50
                                                some democratic nations around the world, take issue with your
                                                blatant anti-unicameral bias. Our "uni's" are just as capable
                                                of passing stupid legislation at the speed of a glacier, as
                                                your "bi's"! But, we only have to pay one legislator, instead
                                                of two.

                                                The moderators of this esteemed list should take note of your
                                                predilection to promote mono-culture and consider banning your
                                                deviant opinions from the list.

                                                --

                                                ;-)
                                                Doug Swartz
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                                                  Doug Swartz wrote:

                                                  > Phlip wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
                                                  > > don't "believe in" bicameralism, ....
                                                  >
                                                  > Some of us in Nebraska, various Canadian provinces,
                                                  > and 50
                                                  > some democratic nations around the world, take issue
                                                  > with your
                                                  > blatant anti-unicameral bias. Our "uni's" are just
                                                  > as capable
                                                  > of passing stupid legislation at the speed of a
                                                  > glacier, as
                                                  > your "bi's"! But, we only have to pay one
                                                  > legislator, instead
                                                  > of two.

                                                  <ponderously>
                                                  And that was how, in early 2004, the
                                                  beginnings of a schism appeared in the
                                                  previously solid mailing list,
                                                  ScrumDevelopment...
                                                  </ponderously>

                                                  > The moderators of this esteemed list should take
                                                  > note of your
                                                  > predilection to promote mono-culture and consider
                                                  > banning your
                                                  > deviant opinions from the list.

                                                  Hey - my coffee is shade-grown, pal!

                                                  > ;-)
                                                  > Doug Swartz
                                                  > daswartz@...

                                                  ( http://eatthestate.org/05-22/FairTradeCoffee.htm for
                                                  those who didn't catch that last one... )

                                                  =====