Re: [scrumdevelopment] agile times - sociology and people - call for articles - power in agile development projects

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2004
      Boris Gloger wrote:

      > Sociologist are always concerned about structures.
      > One interesting
      > aspect of structure is power.
      > I would like to invite you to write about power in
      > agile development
      > projects:
      >
      > Does power has an impact in agile projects?
      > Does power of individuals (managers, developers)
      > influence agile
      > development projects.
      > Who does have the power to run (not run) agile
      > development projects?
      > Who loses power because of agile development
      > methodologies?

      Try this:

      Asume there are two kinds of projects, Projects that
      Suck, and Agile Projects.

      Why do Projects that Suck invariably divide Authority
      from Responsibility? Why, in those projects, does some
      appointed lead have the authority to order others
      around, but not the responsibility to work late
      getting the orders done?

      Why, on Agile Projects that Don't Suck, do we have a
      Bill of Rights that appoints both authority and
      responsibility for the same things? Business has the
      authority to prioritize features, and the
      responsibility to sort them into an order that boosts
      end-user productivity. Development has the
      responsibility to slam code and authority to declare
      how it gets done.

      Put this question another way: Why do all the Agile
      resources discuss Authority vs Resposibility? Is this
      really the most important fulcrum?

      =====
      Phlip

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2004
        Phlip wrote:

        > Try this:
        >
        > Asume there are two kinds of projects, Projects that
        > Suck, and Agile Projects.
        >
        > Why do Projects that Suck invariably divide
        > Authority
        > from Responsibility? Why, in those projects, does
        > some
        > appointed lead have the authority to order others
        > around, but not the responsibility to work late
        > getting the orders done?
        >
        > Why, on Agile Projects that Don't Suck, do we have a
        > Bill of Rights that appoints both authority and
        > responsibility for the same things? Business has the
        > authority to prioritize features, and the
        > responsibility to sort them into an order that
        > boosts
        > end-user productivity. Development has the
        > responsibility to slam code and authority to declare
        > how it gets done.
        >
        > Put this question another way: Why do all the Agile
        > resources discuss Authority vs Resposibility? Is
        > this
        > really the most important fulcrum?

        I forgot to make something more clear here. I can't
        write this article - the high number of ? marks in it
        wouldn't look good!

        =====