agile times - sociology and people - call for articles - power in agile development projects

  • Boris Gloger
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2004
      Dear Friends,

      I received a couple of articles from you for the sociology and people
      section of the agile times newsletter.
      Thanks so far.

      Now - we open the next round:

      Sociologist are always concerned about structures. One interesting
      aspect of structure is power.
      I would like to invite you to write about power in agile development
      projects:

      Does power has an impact in agile projects?
      Does power of individuals (managers, developers) influence agile
      development projects.
      Who does have the power to run (not run) agile development projects?
      Who loses power because of agile development methodologies?

      These are only some questions you might give a chance to be answered by
      your article.

      If you like to write something, please sent me a short note.

      Boris

      btw - if you want to write something different - cool sent it to me.

      Boris Gloger
      The Scrum Gathering 2004 in Vienna, Austria
      http://gathering.scrumalliance.org
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2004
        Boris Gloger wrote:

        > Sociologist are always concerned about structures.
        > One interesting
        > aspect of structure is power.
        > I would like to invite you to write about power in
        > agile development
        > projects:
        >
        > Does power has an impact in agile projects?
        > Does power of individuals (managers, developers)
        > influence agile
        > development projects.
        > Who does have the power to run (not run) agile
        > development projects?
        > Who loses power because of agile development
        > methodologies?

        Try this:

        Asume there are two kinds of projects, Projects that
        Suck, and Agile Projects.

        Why do Projects that Suck invariably divide Authority
        from Responsibility? Why, in those projects, does some
        appointed lead have the authority to order others
        around, but not the responsibility to work late
        getting the orders done?

        Why, on Agile Projects that Don't Suck, do we have a
        Bill of Rights that appoints both authority and
        responsibility for the same things? Business has the
        authority to prioritize features, and the
        responsibility to sort them into an order that boosts
        end-user productivity. Development has the
        responsibility to slam code and authority to declare
        how it gets done.

        Put this question another way: Why do all the Agile
        resources discuss Authority vs Resposibility? Is this
        really the most important fulcrum?

        =====
        Phlip

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2004
          Phlip wrote:

          > Try this:
          >
          > Asume there are two kinds of projects, Projects that
          > Suck, and Agile Projects.
          >
          > Why do Projects that Suck invariably divide
          > Authority
          > from Responsibility? Why, in those projects, does
          > some
          > appointed lead have the authority to order others
          > around, but not the responsibility to work late
          > getting the orders done?
          >
          > Why, on Agile Projects that Don't Suck, do we have a
          > Bill of Rights that appoints both authority and
          > responsibility for the same things? Business has the
          > authority to prioritize features, and the
          > responsibility to sort them into an order that
          > boosts
          > end-user productivity. Development has the
          > responsibility to slam code and authority to declare
          > how it gets done.
          >
          > Put this question another way: Why do all the Agile
          > resources discuss Authority vs Resposibility? Is
          > this
          > really the most important fulcrum?

          I forgot to make something more clear here. I can't
          write this article - the high number of ? marks in it
          wouldn't look good!

          =====