Re: Problem loading ScrumMaster.xla in Excel 2000

  • Troy Wehrle
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004
      Register it at the command prompt with regsvr32 MSCAL.OCX.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Pelrine"
      <jpelrine@m...> wrote:
      > I don't have my machine here to check, but I had the same problem,
      and IIRC,
      > you have to register the calendar control somewhere, so that the OS
      finds it.
      > Don't remember where to do that, though.
      >
      > Hope that helps
      >
      > Joseph
      >
      > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:40:02 -0000, woynam wrote
      > > OK, I put the calendar control in my Office directory, and
      > > at least the debugger doesn't open. However, every time I
      > > launch Excel, I get an error dialog, "Could not load an object
      > > because it is not available on this machine", and then a Backlog
      > > window appears. Is this the intended behavior? There's no
      indication
      > > of what "object" is not available, and the dialog box is rather
      > > annoying if you don't intend to work on Scrum-related
      spreadsheets.
      > > Do I really have to enable/disable the scrum add-in every time
      > > I fire up Excel, or is this a side-affect of some other error.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >
      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@c...>
      wrote:

      > > > Thanks. Where do I put the control? I'm not sure whay the
      > > > error message is indicating an Office10 directory, since I
      > > > don't have that folder on my machine.
      > > >
      > > > Mark
      > > >
      > > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Grant"
      <bradg@c...>

      error

      > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: scrumdevelopment-
      > > unsubscribe@e...
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      >

      > --
      > Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
      > MetaProg GmbH
      > www.metaprog.com
    • Troy Wehrle
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004

        <jpelrine@m...> wrote:
        > I don't have my machine here to check, but I had the same problem,
        and IIRC,
        > you have to register the calendar control somewhere, so that the OS
        finds it.
        > Don't remember where to do that, though.
        >
        > Hope that helps
        >
        > Joseph
        >
        > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:40:02 -0000, woynam wrote
        > > OK, I put the calendar control in my Office directory, and
        > > at least the debugger doesn't open. However, every time I
        > > launch Excel, I get an error dialog, "Could not load an object
        > > because it is not available on this machine", and then a Backlog
        > > window appears. Is this the intended behavior? There's no
        indication
        > > of what "object" is not available, and the dialog box is rather
        > > annoying if you don't intend to work on Scrum-related
        spreadsheets.
        > > Do I really have to enable/disable the scrum add-in every time
        > > I fire up Excel, or is this a side-affect of some other error.
        > >
        > > Mark
        > >
        > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@c...>
        wrote:

        > > > Thanks. Where do I put the control? I'm not sure whay the
        > > > error message is indicating an Office10 directory, since I
        > > > don't have that folder on my machine.
        > > >
        > > > Mark
        > > >
        > > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Grant"
        <bradg@c...>

        error

        > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: scrumdevelopment-
        > > unsubscribe@e...
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        >

        > --
        > Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
        > MetaProg GmbH
        > www.metaprog.com
      • woynam
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
          Thanks, that did the trick.

          Just a note, you have to execute the command in the directory where
          the OCX file is located. If you try to run the command anywhere else,
          you'll get an error.

          I'm baffled why one has to drop to the command prompt to register
          a control. The whole process seems rather clumsy.

          Mark

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Troy Wehrle" <wehrlet@c...>

        • Edmund Schweppe
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
            woynam wrote:
            > Thanks, that did the trick.
            >
            > Just a note, you have to execute the command in the directory where
            > the OCX file is located. If you try to run the command anywhere else,
            > you'll get an error.
            >
            > I'm baffled why one has to drop to the command prompt to register
            > a control. The whole process seems rather clumsy.

            Usually, the installation program for whatever Windows application
            you're installing does that work for you.

            A helpful trick for those who write lots of these OCXs and DLLs is to
            set the Windows Explorer to use regsvr32.exe to "open" .OCX and .DLL
            files. Then all you have to do is doubleclick on the file icon to
            register it.