Conflicts of interest affecting Scrum implementation

  • Michael Gingell
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2007

      Getting the initial buy in and overall commitment from senior management for implementing Scrum can be tough e.g.:

      • Fear of IT management being able to release control and trust team to deliver.
      • Senior executives still expecting fully functioning software but now in shorter timeframes.
      • The conflict of these two forces preventing initial change from being made even though they all recognise there will be long term benefits.

      How do you resolve the following conflicts of interest in implementing Scrum to businesses?

      One solution could be to list the impediments senior management view as preventing adoption of Scrum prioritise them into a product backlog then work through them

      Another would be to introduce Scrum on a small scale and rollout Scrum through the organisation from here.

      I would really appreciate your feedback and any other ways you have successfully overcome this impediment.

      Mike

    • Mike Sutton
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2007
        When trying to sell agile into a client of mine...i invited senior
        managers in every department to a workshop.

        Fortunately there were concerns throughout the organisation about low
        quality software, incorrect functionality and so on...so a little bit
        of a driver there.

        I positioned the workshop as a ' the development team are trying to
        change - how can we help you better'

        Quite quickly the discussion turned to what was wrong with how we are
        currently working (i kind of nudged it along). i wanted the group to
        come up with everything they thought was wrong with the current
        processes. I drew a mind map of this and in one colour and then
        attached different coloured nodes to each issue as a proposed solution.

        My role was as a development consultant, so I also offered my
        scrum-informed solutions to some of the problems of communication,
        scope creep, scope definition, ownership, estimating, trust in the
        team etc.

        Key to this was I never called it scrum or named it or whatever. Truly
        useful methods have implicit , readily recognisable value.

        If you think I might be able to help you further, then contact me
        off-list and I'd be happy to help.

        cheers
        Mike
        csm.cspo.certified.certifiable.

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Gingell
        <michael_gingell@...> wrote:

        > Getting the initial buy in and overall commitment from senior
        management for implementing Scrum can be tough e.g.:

        > Fear of IT management being able to release control and trust team
        to deliver.
        > Senior executives still expecting fully functioning software but now
        in shorter timeframes.
        > The conflict of these two forces preventing initial change from
        being made even though they all recognise there will be long term
        benefits.
        > How do you resolve the following conflicts of interest in
        implementing Scrum to businesses?

        > One solution could be to list the impediments senior management view
        as preventing adoption of Scrum prioritise them into a product backlog
        then work through them

        > Another would be to introduce Scrum on a small scale and rollout
        Scrum through the organisation from here.

        > I would really appreciate your feedback and any other ways you have
        successfully overcome this impediment.

        > Mike

        > Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer.
        Try it