Problem loading ScrumMaster.xla in Excel 2000

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2004
      I'm getting the following (typical, meaningless Microsoft) error
      trying to add the ScrumMaster.xla Add-In into Excel 2000:

      Could not load an object because it is not available on this machine.

      The VB editor opens on the following line, and reports a compile
      error (Can't find project or library):

      Function CommandBarExists(n) As Boolean <<==
      Dim cb As CommandBar
      For Each cb In Application.CommandBars
      If UCase(cb.Name) = UCase(n) Then <<== Ucase highlighted
      CommandBarExists = True
      Exit Function
      End If
      Next cb
      CommandBarExists = False
      End Function

      Anyone encounter this before? It appears that it may be a missing
      Microsoft Calendar Control 10.0 (C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\MSCAL.OCX),
      but I'm certainly no VB guru.

      Thanks.

      Mark
    • Brad Grant
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2004
        I had the same issue when I tried to use the add-in.

        I have uploaded the calendar control to the Files section of this
        group.

        Brad

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@c...> wrote:

        > I'm getting the following (typical, meaningless Microsoft) error
        > trying to add the ScrumMaster.xla Add-In into Excel 2000:
        >
        > Could not load an object because it is not available on this
        machine.

        > The VB editor opens on the following line, and reports a compile
        > error (Can't find project or library):
        >
        > Function CommandBarExists(n) As Boolean <<==
        > Dim cb As CommandBar
        > For Each cb In Application.CommandBars
        > If UCase(cb.Name) = UCase(n) Then <<== Ucase
        highlighted
        > CommandBarExists = True
        > Exit Function
        > End If
        > Next cb
        > CommandBarExists = False
        > End Function
        >
        > Anyone encounter this before? It appears that it may be a missing
        > Microsoft Calendar Control 10.0 (C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10
        \MSCAL.OCX),
        > but I'm certainly no VB guru.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Mark
      • woynam
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
          Thanks. Where do I put the control? I'm not sure whay the
          error message is indicating an Office10 directory, since I
          don't have that folder on my machine.

          Mark

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Grant" <bradg@c...> wrote:
          > I had the same issue when I tried to use the add-in.
          >
          > I have uploaded the calendar control to the Files section of this
          > group.
          >
          > Brad
          >
          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm getting the following (typical, meaningless Microsoft) error
          > > trying to add the ScrumMaster.xla Add-In into Excel 2000:
          > >
          > > Could not load an object because it is not available on this
          > machine.
          > >

          > > The VB editor opens on the following line, and reports a compile
          > > error (Can't find project or library):
          > >
          > > Function CommandBarExists(n) As Boolean <<==
          > > Dim cb As CommandBar
          > > For Each cb In Application.CommandBars
          > > If UCase(cb.Name) = UCase(n) Then <<== Ucase
          > highlighted
          > > CommandBarExists = True
          > > Exit Function
          > > End If
          > > Next cb
          > > CommandBarExists = False
          > > End Function
          > >
          > > Anyone encounter this before? It appears that it may be a missing
          > > Microsoft Calendar Control 10.0 (C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10
          > \MSCAL.OCX),
          > > but I'm certainly no VB guru.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Mark
        • woynam
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
            OK, I put the calendar control in my Office directory, and
            at least the debugger doesn't open. However, every time I
            launch Excel, I get an error dialog, "Could not load an object
            because it is not available on this machine", and then a Backlog
            window appears. Is this the intended behavior? There's no indication
            of what "object" is not available, and the dialog box is rather
            annoying if you don't intend to work on Scrum-related spreadsheets.
            Do I really have to enable/disable the scrum add-in every time
            I fire up Excel, or is this a side-affect of some other error.

            Mark

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@c...> wrote:

            > Thanks. Where do I put the control? I'm not sure whay the
            > error message is indicating an Office10 directory, since I
            > don't have that folder on my machine.
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Grant" <bradg@c...>
            wrote:
            > > I had the same issue when I tried to use the add-in.
            > >
            > > I have uploaded the calendar control to the Files section of this
            > > group.
            > >
            > > Brad
            > >
            > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@c...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm getting the following (typical, meaningless Microsoft) error
            > > > trying to add the ScrumMaster.xla Add-In into Excel 2000:
            > > >
            > > > Could not load an object because it is not available on this
            > > machine.
            > > >

            > > > The VB editor opens on the following line, and reports a compile
            > > > error (Can't find project or library):
            > > >
            > > > Function CommandBarExists(n) As Boolean <<==
            > > > Dim cb As CommandBar
            > > > For Each cb In Application.CommandBars
            > > > If UCase(cb.Name) = UCase(n) Then <<== Ucase
            > > highlighted
            > > > CommandBarExists = True
            > > > Exit Function
            > > > End If
            > > > Next cb
            > > > CommandBarExists = False
            > > > End Function
            > > >
            > > > Anyone encounter this before? It appears that it may be a missing
            > > > Microsoft Calendar Control 10.0 (C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10
            > > \MSCAL.OCX),
            > > > but I'm certainly no VB guru.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks.
            > > >
            > > > Mark
          • Joseph Pelrine
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
              I don't have my machine here to check, but I had the same problem, and IIRC,
              you have to register the calendar control somewhere, so that the OS finds it.
              Don't remember where to do that, though.

              Hope that helps

              Joseph

              On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:40:02 -0000, woynam wrote

              --
              Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
              MetaProg GmbH
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004
                Register it at the command prompt with regsvr32 MSCAL.OCX.

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Pelrine"

              • Troy Wehrle
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004

                  <jpelrine@m...> wrote:
                  > I don't have my machine here to check, but I had the same problem,
                  and IIRC,
                  > you have to register the calendar control somewhere, so that the OS
                  finds it.
                  > Don't remember where to do that, though.
                  >
                  > Hope that helps
                  >
                  > Joseph
                  >
                  > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:40:02 -0000, woynam wrote
                  > > OK, I put the calendar control in my Office directory, and
                  > > at least the debugger doesn't open. However, every time I
                  > > launch Excel, I get an error dialog, "Could not load an object
                  > > because it is not available on this machine", and then a Backlog
                  > > window appears. Is this the intended behavior? There's no
                  indication
                  > > of what "object" is not available, and the dialog box is rather
                  > > annoying if you don't intend to work on Scrum-related
                  spreadsheets.
                  > > Do I really have to enable/disable the scrum add-in every time
                  > > I fire up Excel, or is this a side-affect of some other error.
                  > >
                  > > Mark
                  > >
                  > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@c...>
                  wrote:

                  > > > Thanks. Where do I put the control? I'm not sure whay the
                  > > > error message is indicating an Office10 directory, since I
                  > > > don't have that folder on my machine.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mark
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Grant"
                  <bradg@c...>

                  error

                  > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: scrumdevelopment-
                  > > unsubscribe@e...
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  >

                  > --
                  > Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
                  > MetaProg GmbH
                  > www.metaprog.com
                • woynam
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
                    Thanks, that did the trick.

                    Just a note, you have to execute the command in the directory where
                    the OCX file is located. If you try to run the command anywhere else,
                    you'll get an error.

                    I'm baffled why one has to drop to the command prompt to register
                    a control. The whole process seems rather clumsy.

                    Mark

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Troy Wehrle" <wehrlet@c...>

                  • Edmund Schweppe
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
                      woynam wrote:
                      > Thanks, that did the trick.
                      >
                      > Just a note, you have to execute the command in the directory where
                      > the OCX file is located. If you try to run the command anywhere else,
                      > you'll get an error.
                      >
                      > I'm baffled why one has to drop to the command prompt to register
                      > a control. The whole process seems rather clumsy.

                      Usually, the installation program for whatever Windows application
                      you're installing does that work for you.

                      A helpful trick for those who write lots of these OCXs and DLLs is to
                      set the Windows Explorer to use regsvr32.exe to "open" .OCX and .DLL
                      files. Then all you have to do is doubleclick on the file icon to
                      register it.