Re: [scrumdevelopment] Encouraging Signs

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2004
      Glen,

      I'm encouraged that the Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site is innovative and using XP. I remember it when it was the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Plant. I was appointed by Governor Lamm and then Congressman Tim Wirth as Vice Chairman of the Rocky Flats Monitoring Committee and Chairman of the Subcommittee on Health Effects.

      At that time, late 70's and early 80's, the management would have run screaming at the sound of the word SCRUM or XP!

      Jeff Sutherland

      Message: 2
      � Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:42:06 -0700
      � From: "Alleman, Glen B." <glen.alleman@...>
      Subject: RE: Scrum on a Page

      Chak,

      Our experiences with XP teams does not turn out this way. We have only
      two specific "external" reporting role:

      (1) Scorekeeper who must report the financial aspects of the team to
      management.
      (2) Spokesperson who must be able to give a standup talk about the teams
      progress to management.

      Multiple and changing leadership roles are common. We used to be a
      "command and control" shop were a single pre-designated leader was
      assigned to the team. Now the team is formed (sometimes with much
      turmoil) and the team defines the leadership role. In John Kotter's
      terms these are self-directed teams.

      Such teams are not without problems, but the problems are solved with
      everyone having a smile on their face.

      Glen B. Alleman
      CH2M HILL
      Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site
      glen.alleman@...
      glen.alleman@...