Re: [scrumdevelopment] Masters Thesis on Agile Projects

  • John-Mason P. Shackelford
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Padhma,

      How do you defined failed for the purpose of your study?

      --
      John-Mason Shackelford

      Software Development Coach
      Pearson

      2510 North Dodge St.
      Iowa City, IA 52245
      ph. 319-354-9200x6214
      john-mason.shackelford@...
      http://pearsonschool.com
    • woynam
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
        Exactly. We've had several projects that were canceled within the
        first few sprints. The development team kept finding contradictions in
        the requirements, such that the requirements couldn't be implemented
        without breaking some other critical aspect of the system.

        From a business standpoint, one might consider the projects a failure.
        However, Scrum did it's job quite well, and prevented us from spending
        months working on something that simply couldn't be delivered.

        Mark

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "John-Mason P. Shackelford"
        <jpshack@...> wrote:

        > Padhma,
        >
        > How do you defined failed for the purpose of your study?
        >
        > --
        > John-Mason Shackelford
        >
        > Software Development Coach
        > Pearson
        >
        > 2510 North Dodge St.
        > Iowa City, IA 52245
        > ph. 319-354-9200x6214
        > john-mason.shackelford@...
        > http://pearsonschool.com

      • Emiliano Heyns
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
          On 10/2/07, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:

          Exactly. We've had several projects that were canceled within the
          first few sprints. The development team kept finding contradictions in
          the requirements, such that the requirements couldn't be implemented
          without breaking some other critical aspect of the system.

          From a business standpoint, one might consider the projects a failure.
          However, Scrum did it's job quite well, and prevented us from spending
          months working on something that simply couldn't be delivered.

          Same here. The fact that we aborted sprint 2 was probably the one of the best things we've done so far in our project. It sent a clear message that we can't, and thus won't, work on a project that is doomed to fail. The message was received loud and clear, things have shaped up considerably since then, and we're back on track. Not perfect, but probably as good as the organization will allow right now.

          Emile