Re: [scrumdevelopment] The fear of accountability. how much are you willing to avoid it?!!

  • Malcolm Anderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
      If the the management team hasn't publicly acknowledged their role in
      the current situation (i.e. long history of top down induced fads),
      then it's understandable that the team is ducking and covering.

      A victim mentality isn't pretty, or all that productive, but it's
      understandable.

      A quick side question, do the developers have any time to study, and
      what are they studying?

      We had some interesting results with a brown bag study group. We
      started with "The Pragmatic Programmer." By the time we were done
      with the book, the management had authorized us to use work time for
      the study group.

      The reason I ask this is that I've found 2 things that seem to go hand in hand.
      1) Programmers who believe that their career development is not their
      problem, it's their employers
      2) Programmers who do not have the skills to go get another job if the
      current one sucks.

      Malcolm

      On 10/1/07, Fred Montaseri <fmontaseri@...> wrote:

      > Hi all, and thank you for your feedback.
      >
      > Let me share some more with you on this case. In giving you more background… the management has been trying so many different approaches to solve their problem, and every time promised the Dev team that this new change or that new process is going to solve all their problems, but nothing was resolved or the new process was not follow through and failed miserably! So, I think some of the resistance and frustration is the lack of trust between the team and the management. The team believes that this is another phase that will fadeout and/or fails soon. And the resistance is even harder this time because the message is that they are the decision makers and accountable now and if Agile/Scrum process fails too, it will seem that it is their fault! Management with my help and coaching has been trying to explain that this process with help to improve their code, as well as their lives, but so far they don't believe that can happen. My biggest problem is that my role as the ScrumMaster is to protect the team and remove obstacles out of their way during the Sprint, but so far they have seen me as an OBSTACLE!!! J
      >

      > However, I am always up for a good challenge… I think I can breakthrough and bring the team onboard with Scrum… and I let you know how we are progressing, and value your feedback.
      >

      > Kind Regards,
      >
      > Fred Montaseri
    • David Morash
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
        So what does the team think their "problems" are?

        It seems like management (and by implication, perhaps you as well) are
        saying "Scrum will fix all your problems, I know we said that before
        about brand X, but we really mean it this time!". I can't see the team
        believing that especially since it looks like they weren't consulted
        previously. So this seems like a bigger problem that merely introducing
        Scrum.

        Its just a guess but I wouldn't be surprised if the team has a lot of
        issues with the way management and other groups within the organization
        work. Management needs to understand that Scrum isn't just about
        "fixing" the development team.

        Maybe if you began addressing the problems as the team sees them, you
        could introduce Scrum with less resistance. I might not even say its
        Scrum, I'd probably just focus on the practices.

        I'd look for the natural leaders within the team (see the "Champion
        Skeptic" pattern from "Fearless Change" the book) and work very hard to
        address their concerns.

        Good luck, it certainly sounds like a challenge.