Effective and relevant team building activities

  • Emiliano Heyns
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2007
      Hi,

      We're currently working in a setting where we've really just started with Scrum. People like each other just fine, but there's currently no real "team"; people tend to focus on their own activities, very little cross-pollination of knowledge, etc.

      I'm looking for something effective and relevant for this group to help them to think of themselves as part of a team. At previous firms we;ve done the cooking, and the painting, and the survivalling, ... while I enjoy a day out as much as the next guy, none of the earlier activities have yielded any visible results.

      The Team 2.0 McCarthy BootCamp that was just posted sounds like just the ticket, but there's no way I'm getting these people freed up for 5 days in the short term, and at
      3900euros per person I'm going to have a hard time justifying the budget as well. But ideas along these lines would be very welcome!

      Emile
    • lachlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2007
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Emiliano Heyns"
        <Emiliano.Heyns@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > We're currently working in a setting where we've really just started
        with
        > Scrum. People like each other just fine, but there's currently no real
        > "team"; people tend to focus on their own activities, very little
        > cross-pollination of knowledge, etc.
        >
        > I'm looking for something effective and relevant for this group to
        help them
        > to think of themselves as part of a team. At previous firms we;ve
        done the
        > cooking, and the painting, and the survivalling, ... while I enjoy a
        day out
        > as much as the next guy, none of the earlier activities have yielded any
        > visible results.
        >
        > The Team 2.0 McCarthy BootCamp that was just posted sounds like just the
        > ticket, but there's no way I'm getting these people freed up for 5
        days in
        > the short term, and at 3900euros per person I'm going to have a hard
        time
        > justifying the budget as well. But ideas along these lines would be very
        > welcome!
        >
        > Emile

        Hi

        I have found that a good retrospective helps to bring the team
        together. As retrospectives are carried out in the context of their
        work the team doesn't need to translate the ideas from "climbing
        ropes" to "making software".

        Check out "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great" by Esther
        Derby & Diana Larsen if you want some interesting ideas.

        regards

        Lachlan