Masters Thesis on Agile Projects

  • padhsk2k
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2007
      Hi all,

      I am a Masters student working on a Thesis on Agile Development
      Methodolgies. My topic is to analyse case studies of Failed Agile
      Projects and compare it with case studies of Successful Agile Projects
      to see what they have done differently.

      My problem is though I could find case studies of successful Agile
      projects (Scrum, XP, Crystal Clear..) it is very hard to find a case
      study for Failed Agile projects.

      If anyone has used Agile in your company but got failed results, can
      you let me know? Even otherwise , I would really value your inputs on
      where to find case studies (both success stories and failed stories)
      for my Thesis. Would really appreciate your time!

      Thanks,
      Padhma
    • Roy Morien
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2007
        Good Luck Padhma ... I hope that you are successful, and I for one would like to read your finished thesis. But the fact is, nobody wants to share their failures ... it is too embarrassing.

        In October 2005 the Australian Customs Service implemented a new system. The original cost estimate was $33 million in 2000, but the cost by 2005 was $250 million, system delivered 3 years late (supposed to be 2002). It failed substantially and caused major problems and costs for Australian importers and exporters

        As part of my research interest (similar to yours) I requested access to the project history to analyse the cause of this failure. I was rejected out of hand, and in fact told that this was really not a failure, and they could analyse it in-house anyway.

        So ... again,Good Luck.

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: padhsk2k@...
        Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 03:38:11 +0000
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Masters Thesis on Agile Projects

        Hi all,

        I am a Masters student working on a Thesis on Agile Development
        Methodolgies. My topic is to analyse case studies of Failed Agile
        Projects and compare it with case studies of Successful Agile Projects
        to see what they have done differently.

        My problem is though I could find case studies of successful Agile
        projects (Scrum, XP, Crystal Clear..) it is very hard to find a case
        study for Failed Agile projects.

        If anyone has used Agile in your company but got failed results, can
        you let me know? Even otherwise , I would really value your inputs on
        where to find case studies (both success stories and failed stories)
        for my Thesis. Would really appreciate your time!

        Thanks,
        Padhma

        Enter now! Win a $16K adventure holiday to Rajasthan, India.
      • John-Mason P. Shackelford
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
          Padhma,

          How do you defined failed for the purpose of your study?

          --
          John-Mason Shackelford

          Software Development Coach
          Pearson

          2510 North Dodge St.
          Iowa City, IA 52245
          ph. 319-354-9200x6214
          john-mason.shackelford@...
          http://pearsonschool.com
        • woynam
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
            Exactly. We've had several projects that were canceled within the
            first few sprints. The development team kept finding contradictions in
            the requirements, such that the requirements couldn't be implemented
            without breaking some other critical aspect of the system.

            From a business standpoint, one might consider the projects a failure.
            However, Scrum did it's job quite well, and prevented us from spending
            months working on something that simply couldn't be delivered.

            Mark

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "John-Mason P. Shackelford"
            <jpshack@...> wrote:

            > Padhma,
            >
            > How do you defined failed for the purpose of your study?
            >
            > --
            > John-Mason Shackelford
            >
            > Software Development Coach
            > Pearson
            >
            > 2510 North Dodge St.
            > Iowa City, IA 52245
            > ph. 319-354-9200x6214
            > john-mason.shackelford@...
            > http://pearsonschool.com

          • Emiliano Heyns
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
              On 10/2/07, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:

              Exactly. We've had several projects that were canceled within the
              first few sprints. The development team kept finding contradictions in
              the requirements, such that the requirements couldn't be implemented
              without breaking some other critical aspect of the system.

              From a business standpoint, one might consider the projects a failure.
              However, Scrum did it's job quite well, and prevented us from spending
              months working on something that simply couldn't be delivered.

              Same here. The fact that we aborted sprint 2 was probably the one of the best things we've done so far in our project. It sent a clear message that we can't, and thus won't, work on a project that is doomed to fail. The message was received loud and clear, things have shaped up considerably since then, and we're back on track. Not perfect, but probably as good as the organization will allow right now.

              Emile