Re: [scrumdevelopment] Silver Bullet thread

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2004
      There have been some improvements in software productivity. Things are a lot easier than when I was progamming in octal on a magnetic drum in 1962 with nothing but punched paper tape for input and output. Or even with mainframes I used at Stanford in 1970 where I had to submit punched cards every night and get a report back in the morning.

      There is a larger issue that any improvement is eclipsed by higher demand for more complex software. Let's say we had a magic bullet tomorrow that eliminated programming entirely. We would then all be in meeting like I am in right now at the HL7 Orders and Observations Technical Committee. We are reviewing a complex object model for a blood bank that has been under discussion for some years.

      The size and complexity of applications expands to meet the capability no matter how great the capability.

      Jeff Sutherland

      -----
      > The belief that there will be some magical
      > incantation, tool, or facility that will kill the difficulty of >
      > software development has haunted our industry as long as I've been
      > developing software, and I remember the 60's.

      I remember reading that the first programming language in the late
      40's was thought to signify the end of the need for programmers.