Re: Comments on Silver Bullets

  • fredb001
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2004
      Great article. Thank you!

      > The belief that there will be some magical
      > incantation, tool, or facility that will kill the difficulty of >
      > software development has haunted our industry as long as I've been
      > developing software, and I remember the 60's.

      I remember reading that the first programming language in the late
      40's was thought to signify the end of the need for programmers.

      > Remember heavyweight methodologies?

      All too well. All too painfully. I'm afraid heavyweight
      methodologies' legacy is an aversion to any methodology at all. Not
      that this aversion wasn't present to begin with. But I'd say
      heavyweight methodologies reinforced it dramatically at every level
      in the organization: the programmers didn't like using them and
      management didn't like the drop in productivity.

      > Agile processes are sometimes thought of as silver bullets.

      Being a silver bullet does seem to be the chief criticism leveled at
      agile processes -- at least the opening volley. "Look at the new
      cure-all fad they're trying to foist on us." (The middle of these
      arguments is usually "It's just commonsense" and end with "Of
      course, we were doing it this way all along.")

      > The reason is the shortage of people who know what they are doing.

      Truer words were never spoken. Also, I think things would be more
      hopeful if a lot more people know, as Phil Armour might put it, that
      they don't know what they are doing.

      In particular, I hope the last four paragraphs get the widest
      circulation possible. Maybe we could all pitch in for a spot during
      the Super Bowl?

      Fred
    • Bishop, Murray
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2004
        Sorry for the lateness of this reply, and thanks for the article, which I
        liked.

        > I don't know if other industries fall prey to the silver bullet myth as
        > hard
        > as systems development. The belief that there will be some magical
        > incantation, tool, or facility that will kill the difficulty of software
        > development has haunted our industry as long as I've been developing
        > software, and I remember the 60's.

        Maybe say "and I've been doing that since the 60's", after all - if you
        remember the 60's, you weren't there. 8-)

        Best Regards,
        Murray
      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 21, 2004
          I think we might get Coors to include us.
          Ken

          > The belief that there will be some magical
          > incantation, tool, or facility that will kill the difficulty of >
          > software development has haunted our industry as long as I've been
          > developing software, and I remember the 60's.

          I remember reading that the first programming language in the late
          40's was thought to signify the end of the need for programmers.

          > Remember heavyweight methodologies?

          All too well. All too painfully. I'm afraid heavyweight
          methodologies' legacy is an aversion to any methodology at all. Not
          that this aversion wasn't present to begin with. But I'd say
          heavyweight methodologies reinforced it dramatically at every level
          in the organization: the programmers didn't like using them and
          management didn't like the drop in productivity.

          > Agile processes are sometimes thought of as silver bullets.

          Being a silver bullet does seem to be the chief criticism leveled at
          agile processes -- at least the opening volley. "Look at the new
          cure-all fad they're trying to foist on us." (The middle of these
          arguments is usually "It's just commonsense" and end with "Of
          course, we were doing it this way all along.")

          > The reason is the shortage of people who know what they are doing.

          Truer words were never spoken. Also, I think things would be more
          hopeful if a lot more people know, as Phil Armour might put it, that
          they don't know what they are doing.

          In particular, I hope the last four paragraphs get the widest
          circulation possible. Maybe we could all pitch in for a spot during
          the Super Bowl?

          Fred

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to: