Re: "You'd be insane to adopt scrum..." (quote from SlashDot)

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
      wrote:
      > Here's an article on SlashDot today that pretty much misses the
      point:
      > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/05/1712222
      >
      > There are so many missed points and inaccuracies ...

      Oh my gosh - what a hoot! I definitely must give up Scrum, it's
      obviously useless!

      Interesting: how such clear writing can be soooo off-base... if my
      next book review is this bad, please, will someone have the decency
      to tell me so!

      > Anyone have any idea what project is being referred to in ...
      > "At my company, one division used the Scrum method, and it failed,
      taking
      > the division, 100 jobs, and millions of development dollars with
      it. ...

      After a little investigation, I can tell that the author of this
      comment didn't work at my last employer... phew! But his note sounds
      very like what came back at us from the "other" team in our
      company...

      Inside our own department, Scrum was king. Scrum was brilliant. Scrum
      made coming to work worthwhile. Scrum made software delivery
      possible! Customers liked, the PM liked it, developers clamored to
      get onto our team.

      Outside our department, Scrum was seen as a dysfunctional symptom of
      a maverick team of hackers: for heaven's sake, they can't be serious
      about a methodology that includes NO DOCUMENTATION, for starters (a
      common misconception about XP). They had no idea how much WORKING
      software we had created, so it's not surprising to see comments about
      how the team played with "prototypes" all day long...

      THIS is why I am so big on our need to ** learn to articulate Scrum
      ** to our organisations. There is no use having a dynamite team
      churning out software if everone around you does not understand the
      value of what you do. There is no use using Scrum to mitigate and
      manage risk, if everyone around you things Scrum itself is a huge
      risk for the organisation.

      WE MUST learn to communicate the value of Agile with non-Agilists.

      Well, that's my morning rant... off to my Scrum now :-)
      Have a good day, everyone,
      deb