"You'd be insane to adopt scrum..." (quote from SlashDot)

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004

      Here’s an article on SlashDot today that pretty much misses the point:

      There are so many missed points and inaccuracies in here that’s it’s hard to even know where to begin. Still, it’s interesting to see how the misinformed Slashdotters see Scrum.

      Anyone have any idea what project is being referred to in the followup posts when the author states:

      At my company, one division used the Scrum method, and it failed, taking the division, 100 jobs, and millions of development dollars with it. The biggest problem I heard from senior programmers in other divisions was that the daily scrums encouraged people to build a great prototype to show what they would do, but there so never anything actually done. Programmers would work for hours in the morning to fix the problems identified in the prototype, make changes in the afternoon, and start again after the next scrum. Waste, waste, waste.”

      That doesn’t sound much like a Scrum project; certainly not one with a ScrumMaster who had any idea how to Scrum.

      --Mike

    • Deb
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
        wrote:
        > Here's an article on SlashDot today that pretty much misses the
        point:
        > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/05/1712222
        >
        > There are so many missed points and inaccuracies ...

        Oh my gosh - what a hoot! I definitely must give up Scrum, it's
        obviously useless!

        Interesting: how such clear writing can be soooo off-base... if my
        next book review is this bad, please, will someone have the decency
        to tell me so!

        > Anyone have any idea what project is being referred to in ...
        > "At my company, one division used the Scrum method, and it failed,
        taking
        > the division, 100 jobs, and millions of development dollars with
        it. ...

        After a little investigation, I can tell that the author of this
        comment didn't work at my last employer... phew! But his note sounds
        very like what came back at us from the "other" team in our
        company...

        Inside our own department, Scrum was king. Scrum was brilliant. Scrum
        made coming to work worthwhile. Scrum made software delivery
        possible! Customers liked, the PM liked it, developers clamored to
        get onto our team.

        Outside our department, Scrum was seen as a dysfunctional symptom of
        a maverick team of hackers: for heaven's sake, they can't be serious
        about a methodology that includes NO DOCUMENTATION, for starters (a
        common misconception about XP). They had no idea how much WORKING
        software we had created, so it's not surprising to see comments about
        how the team played with "prototypes" all day long...

        THIS is why I am so big on our need to ** learn to articulate Scrum
        ** to our organisations. There is no use having a dynamite team
        churning out software if everone around you does not understand the
        value of what you do. There is no use using Scrum to mitigate and
        manage risk, if everyone around you things Scrum itself is a huge
        risk for the organisation.

        WE MUST learn to communicate the value of Agile with non-Agilists.

        Well, that's my morning rant... off to my Scrum now :-)
        Have a good day, everyone,
        deb