Re: Help against an Argument

  • dhirajgupta_2005
    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 1, 2007
      I found SPRINT/SCRUM working if the following is met
      - All developers are at similar level of expertise/experience.
      - Before starting of the SPRINT, all know clearly what needs to be
      delivered and have enough information to commit the deliverable.
      - Holistic Design/Architecture approach cannot be ignored. If there is
      any study/research required, it can be done prior to starting project
      SPRINTs.

      I have worked for a banking product development in 90s. It is took us
      5+ calendar years and still the product was not stable or ready to
      ship. This was because there were always something good to add and we
      kept changing requirement/design. Using Agile may have avoided this,
      as Agile mandates shippable product after every SPRINT.

      thanks
      Dhiraj

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "William J. Koscho"
      <wkoscho@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I'm in the process of "socializing" scrum at my organization.
      >
      > One of the questions I always get, is if a sprint does not take into
      > account the "big picture" of all the requirements/architecture/design,
      > then don't you have a risk of rework in the event that you discover
      > that a new requirement that has significant impact to the software you
      > already built?
      >
      > I have some thoughts around this that I've been putting together, but I
      > would appreciate other's thoughts against this.
      >
      > I would appreciate any thoughts you have on this....
      >
      > Thanks
      > Bill

    • srinivas chillara
      Message 62 of 62 , Oct 5, 2007
        > I'd phrase that a little bit differently:
        >
        > We can only hope to successfully adapt a
        > method/process that we
        > understand well enough. How do you get that
        > understanding? As far as I
        > can tell, most effectively by first doing it by the
        > book (Shu), and
        > after some while carefully starting to experiment a
        > bit (Ha). The better
        > you understand the process, the more safely you can
        > vary it - until you
        > finally don't care about the original process any
        > longer (Ri).

        I see what you are driving at and agree with you.

        However, I think there are very few people who are at
        (Ri), I certainly am not, nor do I think I'll ever
        get there.
        I think I'm at (Ha) { hahahahahha}.

        My point is there are so many people who are
        sub-(Shu), but they confidently speak about many
        things that they don't even begin to understand.
        Therefore as a community I think we should be more
        specific and communicate in terms of 'Scrum' or 'LD'
        or 'FDD' most of the time.

        Because we often don't talk about the book (Shu),
        there are many people who think they know all about
        these matters, when in reality they don't.