Re: Approaching the end of our first sprint

  • David A Barrett
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 31, 2007
      >>>David, you're assuming a lot about the context, here. What you say may
      >>>exactly true in your context, but the context varies from place to
      >>>I find it very important to accomodate the actual context, not an ideal
      >>>one, an assumed one, or the one from my last gig.
      >> You're losing me here George, and I'm not sure what you're saying.
      >> The only context I think I'm assuming is that we're talking about Scrum.
      >You're talking about Scrum as practiced in one company, or as ideally
      >practiced. Not all companies do a good job of choosing the Sprint backlog
      >to represent all stakeholders. I find that particularly true of companies
      >that want to diddle the Sprint contents in mid-stream.

      I have a nagging feeling that all we really can talk about on this list is
      Scrum "as ideally practiced". The basic fact is that it is very rare that
      someone is able to express themselves clearly enough that they can bring
      together all of the relevant facts and nuances of their own particular
      situation in a manner that is complete yet in an email short enough that
      the average list reader would get to the end. The time frames, especially
      for those of use that receive the list in digest form, are usually just too
      long to allow a proper investigative dialogue over the list.

      So when someone poses a very specific problem, very often the best that we
      can hope to do is to trot out our understanding of Scrum "as ideally
      practiced". We say, "Look, I'm not sure what the exact situation is in
      your company, but by-the-book Scrum says to do such and such and here's
      why". Hopefully, if the person with problem can understand the reasons
      that Scrum "as ideally practiced" is done a certain way, then they can use
      that knowledge to decide how to adapt Scrum to their particular situation.

      Jez's issue is a perfect example. We've generated screenfuls of advice on
      this, and it turns out that most of his changes are actually support
      issues, not the PO changing his mind about the priorities. I think we can
      all agree that that is an enitirely different kettle of fish, and that most
      of the advice that we handed out is irrelevant.

      One last point. I would argue that Scrum "as ideally practiced" is the
      most flexible development methodology available. You do not have to bend
      the rules to make it appear flexible.

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company