RE: [scrumdevelopment] RE: scrum vision retrospective

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
      Message

      RJ wrote:
       >  I'm sure they are not saying -- and that they did not say -- that there
       >  /are/ just four emotions.
      Ron:

      I agree, I have a "feeling" there are more than four :-)

      - Mike

      "Programming Rant"

          Programming is about creating emergent structure with an evolving goal in mind.

        Programming is both about breaking existing symmetries and
          spontaneously creating new symmetries.

        Programming is about the creation, evolution and anhilation of patterns
        that serve as generators of software forms.

        Pattern languages are autocatalytic chains of generative rules that iteratively,
          through the application of one pattern at a time, create new forms.

        Programming is about genetic-like trials and errors that maximize
          a "fitness landscape" through better and better prototypes that
        grow through a process similar to morphogenesis.  Testing simply
        sets the expectation of what prototypes have minimally fulfilled
        a utility function.

         Programming is self-organization that produces self-consistent knowledge structures.

        Programming is better served by multi-paradigmic programming-genetic pool that
        includes constructs from all programming paradigms: logical, functional
        and prescriptive (OO, structured, etc.).

    • Esther Derby
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
        In a retro, I navigate the issue of naming emotions by using a
        seismograph. I draw line at neutral ("It's a job") and then I have
        people draw their "energy" line over the course of the project relative
        to that line.

        It's not so critical that people name the emotions in the retrospective.
        The strength of the emotional response gives me an idea of the
        significance of events to the people on the team, and that generally
        coincides with the juice, where there's potential for big learning.

        I'm having a little trouble envisioning limiting the number of emotion
        word choices in a check-in.

        ED

        Esther Derby
        Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
        Writer, Consultant, Facilitator:  Insights you can use...
        612-724-8114 voice; 612-724-8115 fax
        =====================================
        Weblog: www.estherderby.com/weblog/blogger.html

        Mark your calendar for the next AYE Conference: November 2004.
        I'll add details as they become available.
        www.ayeconference.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
          Message
          I recently read "The Tipping Point" by Boris Gladwell and wonder what and when is the tipping point for agile methods and scrum project management? When will we have achieved the critical mass so that PMI teachings are "out of date" and "out of style"?

          Ken
        • acockburn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
            In a message dated 12/15/2003 3:26:06 PM Mountain Standard Time, derby@... writes:

            I'm having a little trouble envisioning limiting the number of emotion
            word choices in a check-in.
            ---> I did, too ... you have to try it to see it work

            Alistair Cockburn

          • je@pfa.dk
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 16, 2003
              If one in two Scrum Masters have the same positive experince of Scrum
              as I do, it should not be long.
              It is positive to see how Scrum Mastering classes are increasing
              rapidly.
              Dare I hope somone has time to organize a Scrum conferance in 2004?
              Jens

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"