Re: Velocity - how to define and measure?

  • Srinivas Vadhri
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
      thanks all. I thought I give you an update.

      We finally settled for

      velocity = total story points completed /day

      We gathered data, per team:

      - Story points per sprint
      - number of days in teh sprint (this could be varying per team)

      We collected data for two sprints, across several teams. We got the
      average Velocity per team (as well as at the program level).

      We are using this metric to see how many user stories can we
      complete with the above velocity. Again we assumed three scenarios:
      if Ave User Story = 3 Story points; = 5 Story points; and = 8 story
      points.

      Each of them gave a slightly different Release Plan. We plan to
      augment the metric at the end of each Sprint.

      thanks
      Srinivas

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Michael James"
      <michael@...> wrote:

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Srinivas Vadhri"
      <vadhris@> wrote:

      > > So my recommendation is to use: Total Estimates of User Stories
      per
      > > Actual hours per week. Not to bother User Stories.
      > >

      > We've found this to be useful on actual releases: total number of
      story points completed per
      > Sprint, after about five Sprints of history. But for release
      planning, you also have to consider
      > the rate of scope increase, as Mike Cohn's chart shows.
      >
      > More here:

      Whitepaper.pdf