Re: Matrix Comparison Plan-Driven Agile Development

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, PaulOldfield1@c... wrote:

      > >> (Alistair)
      > >> In theory, a perfectly run sequential process should be
      > >> less expensive than an perfectly run agile project, so
      > >> don't go to the theory. In the same theory, agile projects
      > >> are shorter. Which is more important to you?
      >
      > > (Boris)
      > > You mean the alternative, when I want to convince someone
      > > who will look at the money aspect, is to lie to him/her?
      > > I can't do that.
      >
      > Tell the truth if the question is asked...

      Wouldn't "the truth" include:

      - the value (competitive advantage?) to the business of early
      delivery of the features with the highest return,

      - increased quality due to customer involvement,*

      - where developers are permanent resources: better employee retention
      (this definitely is quantifiable),

      - predictable delivery dates,

      - more accurate visibility of development progress,

      - etc.

      We need to develop concise and convincing ways to convey these
      benefits to the people making the decisions. Does it necessarily need
      to be in dollars? For those experienced with development, they may
      simply need a reminder of what they know is true... but somewhere
      someone not familiar with how development happens will want more...

      It's a puzzle I'm working on now...
      :-)
      deb

      * In "Managing Software for Growth without Fear, Control, and the
      Manufacturing Mindset", Roy Miller sums it up in the
      introduction: "Growing software allows us to get the software we want
      at the end... not what we thought we wanted when we started". I've
      just started it, but it looks like a good read - has good reviews
      from Agilists on Amazon, and is predictably panned by those set
      against change :-)