Re: [scrumdevelopment] Release Burndown chart in Excel

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 19, 2007
      matt gelbwaks wrote:
      > This type of conversation/argument is easier in person, as simple
      > misunderstandings of emphasis are easily clarified.

      So true!

      > I certainly agree with you on most of your points, as you seem to be
      > agreeing and accentuating mine.

      Ok.

      > One point I would like to clarify, though: there are no absolutes in any
      > business where people are involved. You state
      >
      > to the extent that your team being big
      > or distributed forces you to use software tools, you simply can't be as
      > Agile as smaller, colocated teams.
      >
      > I have worked with both functional and disfunctional teams, large and
      > small. Many improved for my presence (though not all). Some big teams
      > had stunning thoughput with low overhead. Some small teams were so
      > poorly gelled and motivated that their through put was nearly
      > non-existent. This doesn't trouble me. I always say that a good coach
      > has enough experience to be able to look at any team and quickly make
      > some changes to increase their throughput. In some cases it may be
      > automating software, in others, it maybe some exercises to increase
      > trust or understanding. But in no case, does the thought bother me. I
      > never try to achieve the theoretical maximum - I just want to see the
      > team go far enough up the curve so that their productivity is on the
      > level part of the asymptote.

      I totally agree. I can't imagine that you would typically improve a
      dysfunctional team by adding people (although just the right person
      might actually work), or by distributing the team members, though. I can
      imagine the opposite.

      > Your last point:
      >
      > All Agile proponents are saying, as far as I can tell, is that being
      > distributed will invariably make you less effective - partly because
      > you
      > will have to use software tools instead of more direct forms of
      > communication and collaboration.
      >
      > is very valid, though I would point out merely that it is "tools" not
      > "software tools" that you must use (phones, video links, web meetings,
      > as well as spreadsheets, tracking tools, etc).

      "Software tools" wasn't meant exclusively, of course.

      Cheers, Ilja