Re: Scribing the daily scrum

  • Aaron Beck
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ilja Preuss <it@...> wrote:

      > Jeffrey Faust wrote:
      >
      > > > 9. Ask everyone to write their own things down in, e.g., a
      wiki or on
      > > a card.
      > >
      > > We were previously using a scrum software tool. We couldn't even
      get
      > > people to update their estimates daily. I don't see this
      happening.

      > A software tool isn't a good idea, in my experience. Cards on a
      wall
      > work much better (but even then, some people will need some time to
      get
      > used to it - and probably some prodding...)
      >
      > I've heard (or probably read somewhere, but don't remember where)
      about
      > a team that used a wall of cards with tasks that weren't allowed to
      be
      > bigger than a days work. The cards for the iteration were
      distributed
      > over three columns - to do, work in progress, and DONE.
      >
      > In the daily scrum, they made it a ritual that everyone, while
      answering
      > the three questions, put his card(s) from work in progress to DONE -
      or
      > explained why it wasn't finished, which typically meant that there
      was
      > some impediment for the SM to tackle - and put the card(s) that he
      > planned to tackle next from to do to work in progress.
      >
      > Perhaps you can get some inspiration from this idea...
      >
      > Cheers, Ilja

      This is similar to what we are doing, except the cards just can't
      have a task longer than 20 hours.

      We also added a column for "Blocked" so the issue stands out and gets
      addressed. I don't write down anything during the meeting, but can
      capture the blocking issues quickly afterwards by jotting down the
      items in the blocked column.

      Work spent and work remaining get updated daily by each team member
      during the daily scrum, but this took a lot of coaching to finally
      get the team doing it consistently. This also gets captured into a
      tracking sheet after the daily scrum, so as not to distract the team
      from communicating with each other.

      Aaron Beck
      NetDevil