Re: pbl and sprints in the same list?

  • Petri Heiramo
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2007
      Hi,

      > is it not recommended to have an extra 3 columns in your pbl
      > for (sprint number, est. hours, hours remaining), or is that
      > just a bad idea ?? right now we are creating our pbl, and then
      > it seems it would be easier and less time consuming to just
      > assign pbl items to sprints directly in that sheet. there
      > are probably obvious reasons i am not seeing why not to do
      > this; given my newness to scrum.

      The way I see it, you can have any columns you want in it. It's your
      product backlog. However, I recommend you to consider the value and
      use of each column, especially if you expect people to provide values
      to all columns.

      Regarding the specific fields you mention, I have sprint number in the
      product backlog to allow simple planning and recording the sprint when
      the story was done. Beats gantt charts any day.

      "Estimated hours" is probably not a very good column name, but you
      need a column for the size estimate. I'd recommend relative values
      (e.g. story points) instead of time-based estimates. I think e.g.
      http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com has stuff on relative estimating.

      "Hours remaining" has the same problem with time-based values as the
      estimate column. Also, I don't see any reason to track work remaining
      in the product backlog. It's evaluated only during sprint reviews and
      plannings, where the stories are either done or not done. Tracking
      remaining work is the domain of sprint planning and tracking.