[scrumdevelopment] Simple but Powerful

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2000
      I was implementing Scrum at an company that both had current operations
      and was implementing a new web portal. To make things difficult, their
      production wasn't fully automated and they were getting a lot of new
      customers that demanded 24 hour turnaround. A lot of things started
      going wrong, the worst of which is management started to pull in
      different directions, having different opinions on what was most
      important.
      Backlog was clearly needed, but communications was the most important.
      So I implemented daily scrums of 15 minutes for the managers of
      production, customer service, and engineering. The simplest things are
      often the most powerful, and giving them a vehicle for quickly
      exchanging what's up daily has been a great help. Prior to this, they
      had expected that meetings were always at least an hour long, removing
      them from operational flow. This showed them that they can be quick,
      focused, and cooperative.
      Ken Schwaber
    • Jeff Sutherland
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2000
        I'm running a similar cross company SCRUM with the team leaders from
        development, support, sales, and marketing every day at 2PM. A variant of a
        SCRUM of SCRUMs.

        I use a simple backlog in an Excel spreadsheet that lists the major projects
        and some subprojects. We get a cross company status. Meetings are standup
        and take 15-30 minutes. People like it and feel we need it constantly.

        Team leaders are using normal SCRUMS with backlogs on their teams. At the
        SCRUM of SCRUMs I only want the high level status and am not interested in
        details unless there is an obstacle that needs to be crushed at the team
        level.

        Jeff Sutherland
        CTO, The VIRTMED Corporation 617.225.2443
        http://www.virtmed.com
        http://jeffsutherland.com
        mailto:jeff.sutherland@...
        mailto:object-technology-subscribe@egroups.com