RE: [scrumdevelopment] scrum vision retrospective

  • Esther Derby
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003

      > This weblog entry is a nice parrallel:
      >
      > http://martinfowler.com/bliki/StickyTimeline.html

      Very nice, indeed. Tim McKinnon has done some really nice work with
      iteration retrospectives.

      Rather than color code cards, I some times use a "seismograph" or energy
      line above the events to show how people felt (thought I usually avoid
      using the "f" word -feelings- )

      > Feeling (satisfaction?) colors add an interesting
      > perspective. I'm not sure if the timeline is to scale
      > or just sequential, or if that matters. Definitely
      > another reason to add smiley's (color coded?) to your
      > weblog/project journal package. ;-)

      I find that it's really critical to make room for emotional responses...
      without them you never get to the stuff that's important to people.

      Esther Derby
    • Linda Rising
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
        I use four colors -- since a pack of index cards comes that way :-)!
        Red: anger, Blue: happiness, Green: challenge, Yellow: surprise

        You can "see" a lot about the story of the project when the timeline is complete!

        Team members also find that just writing that red card and sticking it on the wall
        helps a lot!

        Linda

        Dean Goodmanson wrote:
        This weblog entry is a nice parrallel:

        http://martinfowler.com/bliki/StickyTimeline.html

        Feeling (satisfaction?) colors add an interesting
        perspective. I'm not sure if the timeline is to scale
        or just sequential, or if that matters.  Definitely
        another reason to add smiley's (color coded?) to your
        weblog/project journal package. ;-)

        The bottom line was this imaginary retrospection
        helped our original definition of our sprint.

        This mini-retrospection allowed us to
        see the part of
        the big picture that got lost in picking the backlog
        originally.

        Comments?

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/

        KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/cIoLAA/9EfwlB/TM

      • Hal Macomber
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
          Wow!  What is all this touchy feely stuff in the software community.  I know I've been gone for 8 years, but I don't remember this level of attention to feelings.  Maybe I've been hardened by the construction industry.

          We've been using a sticky note technique for (reverse) phase scheduling projects.  It starts with the end deliverables and then works backwards adding just those value-adding steps.  Constraints are identified along the way.  The 'scheduling' is kept to a high level.  Once at the beginning we look to improve upon the backward pass by going from start to finish.

          You call this a retrospective, as in "let's review what we did and how it came out."  Is that right?  I'm curious what you think about doing the feelings test in the planning of the project.  Any comments?

          Hal
          Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
          From: "Esther Derby"
          Subject: RE: scrum vision retrospective

          > This weblog entry is a nice parrallel:
          >
          > http://martinfowler.com/bliki/StickyTimeline.html

          Very nice, indeed. Tim McKinnon has done some really nice work with
          iteration retrospectives.

          Rather than color code cards, I some times use a "seismograph" or energy
          line above the events to show how people felt (thought I usually avoid
          using the "f" word -feelings- )

          > Feeling (satisfaction?) colors add an interesting
          > perspective. I'm not sure if the timeline is to scale
          > or just sequential, or if that matters. Definitely
          > another reason to add smiley's (color coded?) to your
          > weblog/project journal package. ;-)

          I find that it's really critical to make room for emotional responses...
          without them you never get to the stuff that's important to people.

          Esther Derby
        • David Vydra
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
            I think that it is useful to revisit the sprint plan after a few hours, when
            the mind had a chance to process the information.

            Regards,
            David
            www.testdriven.com
            www.richclientportal.com

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2003

              Hal –

              The “feely” stuff has always been there (it’s there in construction, too). Some of us don’t pretend it’s not – humans can’t really “check their emotions at the door’ without removing part of the brain.

              My experience is that when you acknowledge and deal with the “feely” stuff, it’s much easier to get the work done. (Recent riff on the topic here: http://estherderby.com/writings/first.htm)

              And yes, I bring up emotional responses in planning (but I don’t use the “f” word).

              Esther Derby

              Esther Derby
              Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
              Writer, Consultant, Facilitator:  Insights you can use...
              612-724-8114 voice; 612-724-8115 fax
              =====================================
              Weblog: www.estherderby.com/weblog/blogger.html

              Mark your calendar for the next AYE Conference: November 2004.
              I'll add details as they become available.
              www.ayeconference.com

              Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
              From: "Esther Derby"

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 4, 2003
                The McCarthy's (Jim and Michele) wrote an interesting book called Software for your Head that describes protocols
                or patterns for creating and running great teams. One of these is called Check-in that addresses some of the issues
                that Esther talks about.

                http://www.mccarthy-tech.com/elementsofthecore.htm

                Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                From: "Esther Derby"

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 4, 2003

                  Yah, check-ins can really do help people focus.  Doesn’t have to take a long time… sometimes I do a one work check in “In one word, what’s happening for you…” then if we hear something that sounds like it needs more time, we can do a little further checking. After the check in, sometimes I ask, “what do you need to be ready to work?  Ok, what do you need to do to make that happen?”

                  BTW, I spent the last two days with Charlie and Edie Seashore, two of the greats in the arena of helping groups work effectively and teaching groups to solve their own problems.  One of the participants expressed some frustration with the length of the check-in… Edie’s reply was that the few times she has succumbed to pressure to skip the check in, she has regretted it.

                  The stuff is still there, and it comes out one way or t’other.  Might was well have it come out with intention and before it sidetracks people from the work they need to do.

                  Purely pragmatic.

                  (well, it’s pragmatic, but not purely so, at least for me.)

                  ED

                  Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                  From: "Esther Derby"

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 4, 2003
                    On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 9:57:58 PM, Esther Derby wrote:

                    > Yah, check-ins can really do help people focus. Doesn't have to take a
                    > long time. sometimes I do a one work check in "In one word, what's
                    > happening for you." then if we hear something that sounds like it needs
                    > more time, we can do a little further checking. After the check in,
                    > sometimes I ask, "what do you need to be ready to work? Ok, what do you
                    > need to do to make that happen?"

                    Yes. I have seen the checkin practice misused, however, as all things seem
                    to be able to be misused. I've seen it turned into a sort of "my story is
                    worse than your story" session, or into "let's all make Susie feel better
                    about her sick pet maggot".

                    I guess everything requires skill and concentration. That's why it's so fun
                    being a person.

                    Tough life is. Then die you do. --Yoda (personal communication)
                  • DianaLarsen
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                      I've used the colored cards in instances where the card colors represented various
                      parts of the project/iteration. So, for the energetic/emotional content, I gave out an
                      equal number (7 to 10) of blue and green dots to each person - to represent when
                      each person felt most "down" or slowed energy (blue) and when they felt "up" and
                      eager to go ahead energy (green). They stick the dots to various cards, weighting by
                      using more dots on a single card if they like. Then we look at the clusters of dots to
                      track the overall energy/emotional pattern of the project/iteration.

                      This thread has taken an interesting turn into a focus on the retrospectives rather
                      than on Allen's initial posting on what he learned from a look back over an imaginary
                      sprint. In the 80's a company in the Netherlands used a similar kind of /imaginary/
                      task to improve their outcomes. They developed a process called "scenario planning,"
                      in which the stragtegic planning group was tasked with imagining various future
                      conditions then developing differing plans to address each future as if it had actually
                      happened. The organization found that by using this process over time, their
                      management staff became more adept at encountering and quickly responding to
                      unforeseen circumstances as they arose in ways that managers prepared with more
                      traditional strategic planning were never able to do. Sounds like increased agility to
                      me.

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Linda Rising <risingl@a...> wrote:
                      > I use four colors -- since a pack of index cards comes that way :-)!
                      > Red: anger, Blue: happiness, Green: challenge, Yellow: surprise
                      >
                      > You can "see" a lot about the story of the project when the timeline is
                      > complete!
                      >
                      > Team members also find that just writing that red card and sticking it
                      > on the wall
                      > helps a lot!

                      Diana

                      Diana Larsen
                      www.industriallogic.com
                      503-288-3550
                      ___
                      Upcoming Class: "Facilitating Project Retrospectives and Reviews: A Practitioner's
                      Toolkit" Jan. 22-23, 2004 at Oregon Graduate Institure
                      ( http://cpd.ogi.edu/class.asp?n=04-pm-13 )
                      I will be speaking at SD West, March 2004, http://www.sdexpo.com/
                      Recent publications:
                      Cutter IT Journal http://www.cutter.com/itjournal/change.html

                      "Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." Soren A.
                      Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
                    • Linda Rising

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                          I've been trying to find my reference for this and can't, so here goes.

                          I read about an exercise for the planning stage that involves the
                          planners in creating an
                          explanation to their bosses -- saying why the project (the one they were
                          currently planning)
                          failed. This forced them out of their typically optimistic mode and
                          sunny day scenarios to
                          think about the very real risks they faced. It was very effective...now
                          if I could just find
                          my notes on that...

                          Linda

                          Alan Shalloway wrote:

                          >I am currently in Ken's Scrummaster training and had an interesting
                          >insight. Ken asked that I post it, see if anybody else has done
                          >something like this and/or wants to comment on it.
                          >
                          >What happened was the result of a couple of exercises. In the first
                          >exercise we developed the Sprint backlog amongst other things. In
                          >the second exercise we were to pretend that we had now completed the
                          >first Sprint and now had other things to deal with.
                          >
                          >What we did at the start of the second exercise was:
                          > 1) pretend that we had completed the Sprint
                          > 2) look to see what we learned
                          > 3) look to see what we would have like to have learned
                          >
                          >In other words, we did an imaginary retrospection. What we saw in
                          >this process (took about 15 minutes) was that our first sprint
                          >didn't find out some things regarding performance that we now
                          >realized would have been a good idea (something that would have been
                          >useful to know going into the second sprint). We looked and found
                          >some things that weren't as important that we could take out.
                          >
                          >The bottom line was this imaginary retrospection helped our original
                          >definition of our sprint.
                          >
                          >It seems to me that this is something to do with all sprint
                          >planning. In other words, after defining the vision for the sprint,
                          >spend another 15-30 minutes then asking yourself - ok, so we've done
                          >this, what next? Is there something else we should have considered?
                          >
                          >I think this may be useful because while first building the sprint
                          >there are many many issues and it's sometimes hard to see the entire
                          >big picture. This mini-retrospection allowed us to see the part of
                          >the big picture that got lost in picking the backlog originally.
                          >
                          >Comments?

                        • Robert Henley
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                            > In the 80's a company in the Netherlands used a similar kind of
                            /imaginary/
                            > task to improve their outcomes. They developed a process called "scenario
                            planning,"
                            > in which the stragtegic planning group was tasked with imagining various
                            future
                            > conditions then developing differing plans to address each future as if it
                            had actually
                            > happened. The organization found that by using this process over time,
                            their
                            > management staff became more adept at encountering and quickly responding
                            > unforeseen circumstances as they arose in ways that managers prepared with
                            more
                            > traditional strategic planning were never able to do. Sounds like
                            increased agility to
                            > me.

                            That company was Royal Dutch/Shell, and this kind of planning made them the
                            only oil company to come out of the OPEC crisis of the 1970's with a profit!
                            That story (among others) is documented in "The Art of the Long View" by
                            Peter
                            Schwartz. It certainly affected how I think about things long-term.

                            Robert Henley
                            Software Architect
                            Certified ScrumMaster
                          • Boris Gloger
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                              I read this, a view weeks ago - I found this concept quit interesting,
                              BUT what i did not liked was the reduction of emotions to just 4.

                              I mean we do have more feelings as Madness, Sadness, Gladness,
                              Afraidness - the McCarthies did a great job by saying that emotions are
                              important. But the problem now is that we are reduced to four.

                              The direction I like the way not.

                              Boris

                              (btw - I agree that is difficult to express emotions,...)

                              Boris Gloger

                              Vienna, Austria
                              +43 699 1699 4977
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 8:56:55 AM, Boris Gloger wrote:

                                > I read this, a view weeks ago - I found this concept quit interesting,
                                > BUT what i did not liked was the reduction of emotions to just 4.

                                > I mean we do have more feelings as Madness, Sadness, Gladness,
                                > Afraidness - the McCarthies did a great job by saying that emotions are
                                > important. But the problem now is that we are reduced to four.

                                > The direction I like the way not.

                                I'm sure they are not saying -- and that they did not say -- that there
                                /are/ just four emotions.

                                It's a communications trick, I would say, intended to focus our attention
                                on those specific dimensions, to help get to the issues rather than deal
                                with delicate nuances of feeling.

                                There is really no such thing as bad weather,
                                only different kinds of good weather. ~John Ruskin
                              • Linda Rising
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                  Hi Boris,

                                  It's been a couple of years since I edited this book but as I remember there are studies to show that any
                                  "feeling" can be expressed as one of these four or a combination thereof and that the benefit of adding
                                  yet another emotion isn't worth the added burden in vocabulary. It reminds me of a discussion I once had
                                  with Martin Fowler about whether to combine two patterns or keep them separate. His answer  was
                                  something like: By keeping them separate you add another pattern to the pattern language.
                                  That's an extra burden for the user. Is it worth it?

                                  In both cases, what we have is increased expressiveness at the cost of increased cognitive effort -- so,
                                  it's like a lot of things in life -- trade-offs :-)!

                                  I know Jim and/or Michele can give you a better answer -- they've thought about this stuff for years
                                  and taught zillions of bootcamps. As I'm sure you've read -- they started these ideas when they were
                                  both at Microsoft and over time found the "patterns" they describe -- so they're not theoretical constructs
                                  that were developed in isolation but things that have worked successfully to build great teams.

                                  Linda

                                  Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                                  From: "Esther Derby"

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                    Wish I had said this :-)! What I saw at the McCarthy bootcamp was a "protocol" -- where it was
                                    easy to say how you felt without too much soul searching and also easy to get what others were
                                    feeling -- it worked and then you could move on.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                      Just thought of a story that Michele told at bootcamp.

                                      How many times have you been at a team meeting (maybe a Scrum?) and someone joined the group,
                                      clearly in a bad mood. Maybe he slamed his book on the table or sat down heavily or just had a nasty
                                      expression on his face. Now everyone in the room is wondering what's wrong. Maybe the guy next
                                      to him knows him well enough to ask what's up and, of course, the reply is, "Nah, it's
                                      nothing." Everyone is thinking, "Has he heard something about the rumor of lay-offs? Is he angry
                                      with me?" That means the focus of the energy in the room is on the anxiety that everyone feels
                                      instead of the work at hand.

                                      And all of this for perhaps no reason. Maybe the guy had a flat tire on the way to work. But, of
                                      course, he doesn't want to take up "valuable" time to tell everyone his problems. Wouldn't it be great
                                      if there were a simple protocol that would begin every meeting. Go around the room and each person
                                      can say: I'm <emotion or list of emotions> (optional short explanation) or pass. It takes a minute or
                                      two and when the angry guy says, "I'm mad because I slept late and didn't get my morning run, but
                                      I'm in!" he feels better and every person in the room is now OK. *And* because he knows
                                      he'll get to Checkin, he comes in to the room in an entirely different way (there's the real benefit).

                                      It's like a retrospective. The team knows there will be a time to say what needs to be said. They'll get
                                      to write that red card. They'll feel better when they write that red card *and* they'll feel better even
                                      before they write that red card because they know .......

                                      :-)

                                      I'm a believer :-)!

                                      Ron Jeffries wrote:
[...]

                                    • Diana Larsen
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                        I don't debate the result, but I do find it interesting that we humans
                                        seem to have identified a 3:1 ratio of "negative" emotion to "positive"
                                        ones. Why could it not be further reduced to: "I feel bad" "I feel
                                        good" if we take the collapsing to its logical conclusion?

                                        I wonder if it is where we put our attention - like people of the far
                                        North who reportedly have many more names for snow or we here in the
                                        Northwest who can distinguish numerous variations in the types of rain.
                                        Do you suppose there would be more finesse to "gladness" if we really
                                        knew how to put our attention there? Or really found "positive" emotion
                                        to be as interesting and informative about each other as "negative"
                                        ones? I myself find quite a difference between contentment and joy -
                                        and whether I am feeling one or the other would make a difference in my
                                        work. Is anyone ready to put in the time to categorize and create a
                                        taxonomy of positive emotion to include at check in?

                                        Diana

                                        Diana Larsen
                                        www.industriallogic.com
                                        503-288-3550
                                        ___

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                            Message

                                            Linda writes:
                                            > It reminds me of a discussion I
                                            once had with Martin Fowler about
                                            > whether to combine two patterns
                                            or keep them separate. His answer  was
                                            > something like: By keeping them separate you add another pattern to the pattern language.
                                            > That's an extra burden for the user. Is it worth it?

                                            Linda:

                                            Well, Alexander thinks it is.  That's why he wrote:

                                                "A City is not a Tree"

                                            i.e. a pattern language is _not_ a discretized reductionist conceptual "tree" .... it allows
                                            overlapping structures.

                                            Overlapping is important because it basically says that objects and patterns
                                            in the world do not have necessarily an "exclusion principle".  In other words, "things" in one pattern
                                            may form other patterns with other things external to it.

                                            This also prevents for "self-righteous" hierarchies:  things can be categorized, arranged
                                            or classified in many ways.... all in an overlapping model.

                                            There are many truths to a "model".

                                            This is true for patterns, object models, semantic networks, conceptual graphs and even
                                            Bayesian networks.

                                            As far as the emotional Hilbert space i.e. emotions are superpositions of an
                                            orthonormal basis of emotions, I don't buy it.   I think emotions are more complex
                                            than that.... and won't even dare to give a quick answer to that :-)

                                            - Mike

                                            Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                                            From: "Esther Derby"

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                              Message

                                              RJ wrote:
                                               >  I'm sure they are not saying -- and that they did not say -- that there
                                               >  /are/ just four emotions.
                                              Ron:

                                              I agree, I have a "feeling" there are more than four :-)

                                              - Mike

                                              "Programming Rant"

                                                  Programming is about creating emergent structure with an evolving goal in mind.

                                                Programming is both about breaking existing symmetries and
                                                  spontaneously creating new symmetries.

                                                Programming is about the creation, evolution and anhilation of patterns
                                                that serve as generators of software forms.

                                                Pattern languages are autocatalytic chains of generative rules that iteratively,
                                                  through the application of one pattern at a time, create new forms.

                                                Programming is about genetic-like trials and errors that maximize
                                                  a "fitness landscape" through better and better prototypes that
                                                grow through a process similar to morphogenesis.  Testing simply
                                                sets the expectation of what prototypes have minimally fulfilled
                                                a utility function.

                                                 Programming is self-organization that produces self-consistent knowledge structures.

                                                Programming is better served by multi-paradigmic programming-genetic pool that
                                                includes constructs from all programming paradigms: logical, functional
                                                and prescriptive (OO, structured, etc.).

                                            • Esther Derby
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                In a retro, I navigate the issue of naming emotions by using a
                                                seismograph. I draw line at neutral ("It's a job") and then I have
                                                people draw their "energy" line over the course of the project relative
                                                to that line.

                                                It's not so critical that people name the emotions in the retrospective.
                                                The strength of the emotional response gives me an idea of the
                                                significance of events to the people on the team, and that generally
                                                coincides with the juice, where there's potential for big learning.

                                                I'm having a little trouble envisioning limiting the number of emotion
                                                word choices in a check-in.

                                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                              • Ken Schwaber
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                  Message
                                                  I recently read "The Tipping Point" by Boris Gladwell and wonder what and when is the tipping point for agile methods and scrum project management? When will we have achieved the critical mass so that PMI teachings are "out of date" and "out of style"?

                                                  Ken
                                                • acockburn@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                    In a message dated 12/15/2003 3:26:06 PM Mountain Standard Time, derby@... writes:

                                                    I'm having a little trouble envisioning limiting the number of emotion
                                                    word choices in a check-in.
                                                    ---> I did, too ... you have to try it to see it work

                                                    Alistair Cockburn

                                                  • je@pfa.dk
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 16, 2003
                                                      If one in two Scrum Masters have the same positive experince of Scrum
                                                      as I do, it should not be long.
                                                      It is positive to see how Scrum Mastering classes are increasing
                                                      rapidly.
                                                      Dare I hope somone has time to organize a Scrum conferance in 2004?
                                                      Jens

                                                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"