Team building activities

  • Robin Dymond
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I realize true teams come from the time it takes to become a team while doing the work. However I have a couple new teams and want to do some activities with them that will create a shared experience, require reliance on each other, be enjoyable/fun.

      Any suggestions besides team drinking games and the 59 minute scrum? :)

      cheers,
      Robin Dymond.

    • Andrew Badera

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
          Everyone wants instant gratification.

          Good human relationships and interactions take time and nurturing.

          There is no "instant" way to "build a team."

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007

              Just like those incentives that allows 1 of the 100 employees to win a trip to Bahamas.

              Then creating 1 winner but also 99 loosers…

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007

                Actually our team has put together a list of activities (posted in the team room) that they thought would be fun. We pick a new one to do each retrospective for the following sprint.

                So far we have only played ultimate Frisbee. It was much more unifying than I thought it would be. The teams have to depend on each other to move the Frisbee down the field – lots of commitment and communication. Then to mix it up we switched the teams up so that other members had to work with each other.

                Now they’ve decided to challenge the other teams in our department.

                Shannon Gilliam

                Project Manager

                Commission Junction, a division of ValueClick, Inc.
                530 East Montecito Street   .   Santa Barbara , CA 93103
                phone 805 730 8306  .  fax 805 730 8001

                Any disclosure, copying, distribution, posting or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. This e-mail may contain proprietary or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Thank you.

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007

                  We used to take a new team rock climbing (indoors if necessary, outdoors if possible0. You have to learn a system, but the system isn’t sufficient. Everyone depends on the rest of the team to be safe. The process is common, but the route is an individual choice. Tools help, but only so much. You get better with practice. Everyone can do it, but not everyone will be a great climber. The team matters.

                  Never had it fail, although had a few folks who didn’t get it. A powerful diagnostic all by itself….

                  John Parkinson

                  ParkWood Advisors LLC

                  Phone: +1 847 235 1791

                  Fax: +1 503 214 8517

                  Mobile: +1 847 877 4520

                  john@...

                  parkijo@...

                  AOL IM: parkijo

                  Skype ID: parkijo SkypeIn #: +1 (847) 512-7604

                  www.parkwoodadvisorsonline.com

                  This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Parkwood Advisors LLC. It is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                      > I realize true teams come from the time it takes to become a team
                      > while doing the work. However I have a couple new teams and want to
                      > do some activities with them that will create a shared experience,
                      > require reliance on each other, be enjoyable/fun.

                      Cook dinner.

                      Cheers,
                      Laurent Bossavit
                      laurent@...
                    • Robert Hanson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007

                        My personal experience with team building through paintball:

                        Yes, it was fun.  Yes, we got out of work for a few hours.  Yes, there were pictures and youtube videos and powerpoint presentations later of how much fun we had.

                        As far as team building goes:  I learned that a few people were good at paintball.  I learned that a few would rather watch from outside the arena.  I learned that if you fall down, you can hurt your arm.  None of this affected my personal perception of “being part of a team”.

                        I think that activities at the workplace are important.  We all sit down for lunch at the same time, and answer trivia questions (the Isle of Man is in what body of water…)  That is a much better team building activity than paintball, and it can occur every day.

                        We also do daily scrums; just committing to the rest of the team, to getting a certain amount of work done, makes you feel like you’re an important part of the team.

                        And just today, something cool happened.  I’ve been advocating using TDD here for about a year now, and one guy (on a different team than mine) came up to me and proudly announced that he’d written his first unit test (“and it wasn’t even that hard”).   So I made a difference in some other programmer’s life.   Now THAT is a real team-building experience.

                        The point was TEAM building, with MULTIPLE TEAMS, right? We're not talking about building some poor kid's self esteem, we're talking about trying to establish/strengthe n/cement bonds between TEAM MEMBERS. Playing paintball as part of your TEAM will build the TEAM. Also, this just in: 2+2=4
                        _,___

                      • Esther Derby
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007

                          Hi, Robyn –

                          There are lots of things that can help a team function better; it helps to know what the problem is before applying a solution.  What have you seen and heard as you observe the teams?

                          Esther

                          Esther Derby
                          Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
                          612-724-8114 www.estherderby.com

                          **Secrets of Agile Teamwork PUBLIC workshop: September 17-19, 2007 in Stockholm **

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                            I once heard about "team golf" helping a bunch of executives learn something about team-work: 4-person teams - each person in rotation gets a turn at hitting the team's single golf ball. It gave the poor golfers in a team a chance to play a well-played ball, and gave the good golfers in a team the chance to play a poorly-played ball. And thus they learned to see at least a little something from each other's point of view, as well has how to encourage and mentor each other, since they were competing with other as teams rather than competing with each other as individuals.

                            --
                            C. Keith Ray
                            http://industriallogic.com      866-540-8336 (toll free)
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                              Laurent Bossavit wrote:
                              >> I realize true teams come from the time it takes to become a team
                              >> while doing the work. However I have a couple new teams and want to
                              >> do some activities with them that will create a shared experience,
                              >> require reliance on each other, be enjoyable/fun.
                              >
                              > Cook dinner.

                              Wow, Laurent! That works on so many different levels.
                              - Do food
                              - Cooperative work
                              - Fun
                              - Allows a range of participation
                              What an excellent suggestion.

                              - George

                            • Robin Dymond
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                                I like it too... providing you can agree on what to cook :)

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
                                  Hi Esther.

                                  Hope the course went well today, great seeing you!

                                  The situation is one team splitting into two, with some openings on the new teams that have yet to be filled. I think the decision is reasonable, gets them back to a 7,8 person size, etc.

                                  The manager wants to do some team building related activity. She's pretty set on it, and so I am willing to try. (however, as I mentioned in my request, teams get built by working together, etc.) My main goals are a) for it to be genuine (spare us from the ra ra ras) and b) for it to be enjoyed by everyone. Learning would be a valued bonus.

                                  I think it is good to recognize that there has been a change with this team, and that some people won't be working together, etc. I reviewed various ideas on this topic, write a letter, write an obit/birth announcement, and a few others.

                                  Thoughts?

                                  cheers,
                                  Robin

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 4, 2007
                                    Hi Robin,

                                    > The situation is one team splitting into two,

                                    The term "building" might be a case of gilding the lily, then...
                                    Perhaps the management concern is actually "not destroying" ?

                                    How are people on the existing team feeling about the split, right now ?

                                    Laurent Bossavit
                                    laurent@...
                                  • Laurent Bossavit
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 4, 2007
                                      >> Cook dinner.
                                      >
                                      > What an excellent suggestion.

                                      All the credit for it should go to Lister and DeMarco - it's from a
                                      classic, Chapter 21 of Peopleware. Twenty years old this year, but
                                      still quite relevant.

                                      Laurent Bossavit
                                      laurent@...
                                    • Lyndon Washington

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 4, 2007
                                          I'm surprised no one has mentioned my favourite part of the 2007
                                          Scrum Gathering in Portland:

                                          Werewolf. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(game))

                                          Fantastic for bringing together strangers and for having great fun as
                                          a team. I played it back in my workplace with my colleagues and
                                          it generated conversation for days if not WEEKS after!

                                          I felt it really helped me get to know my fellow attendees at the
                                          gathering - even though I got lynched for being far too clever! ;-)

                                          (I also think there is something to be said for using it to enhance
                                          your people reading skills, discussion and faciliation talents. All
                                          needed by a good scrummaster.)

                                          Regards,

                                          Nigel

                                          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Ray" <keith.ray@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > I once heard about "team golf" helping a bunch of executives learn
                                          something
                                          > about team-work: 4-person teams - each person in rotation gets a
                                          turn at
                                          > hitting the team's single golf ball. It gave the poor golfers in a
                                          team a
                                          > chance to play a well-played ball, and gave the good golfers in a
                                          team the
                                          > chance to play a poorly-played ball. And thus they learned to see
                                          at least a
                                          > little something from each other's point of view, as well has how to
                                          > encourage and mentor each other, since they were competing with
                                          other as
                                          > teams rather than competing with each other as individuals.
                                          >
                                          > On 8/3/07, Robin Dymond <robin.dymond@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi everyone,
                                          > >
                                          > > I realize true teams come from the time it takes to become a team
                                          while
                                          > > doing the work. However I have a couple new teams and want to do
                                          some
                                          > > activities with them that will create a shared experience,
                                          require reliance
                                          > > on each other, be enjoyable/fun.
                                          > >
                                          > > Any suggestions besides team drinking games and the 59 minute
                                          scrum? :)

                                          > > cheers,
                                          > > Robin Dymond.
                                          > >

                                          > --
                                          > C. Keith Ray
                                          > http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)
                                          > http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/blog/index.html

                                        • Roy Morien
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 4, 2007
                                            Nothing builds a team as a team better than mutual respect for the abilities of other members of the team, and a sense of common purpose, and common achievement. Sharing the same vision, sharing the respect and praise and sense of achievement by the team. These are what builds team spirit ... esprit de corps ...

                                            What destroys teams is where the 'management' shows favour, praises certain people at the expense of others (and where the praise is seen as being because of the favouritism, not the recipients actual ability), fails to recognise and acknowledge individual endeavour ... including contribution to the harmony of the team. So much is dependant on the behaviour and attitude of the project leader (or anyone else in a position to reward or impact a team member).

                                            No matter how much paintball or rock climbing the team participates in, team spirit will be inevitably and inexorably destroyed by these things.

                                            Equally, the temperaments and attitudes of team members will have an impact. There are often naturally likeable members of the team, quiet members of the team, loud and obnoxious members of the team ... etc etc. The role that each one plays in the team activities and contributes to team spirit should be carefully monitored, and moderated, by the team leader.

                                            Sometimes team members can be turned obnoxious by the continuing failure of the team (usually represented in this case by the team leader) to recognise, acknowledge and implement good ideas coming from the team member. Especially when those ideas are ultimately expressed by a 'favoured one' and implemented, to the applause of other team members, and the team leader. This brings about a frustrated and angry reaction that causes huge problems, both for the specific team member, and the rest of the team).

                                            So ... what is the best way to build team spirit? Easy ... have good, fair, encouraging and inclusive leadership that can also recognise, acknowledge and act upon intransigently disruptive members of the team. Then the team can go an have paintball fights, cook dinner, bring curries etc etc, and everyone will have fun, and cement team cohesion and spirit ... these will not be able to build team cohesion and spirit if the team is already divided, angry, resentful etc. because of the failures of management. The old saying that 'A fish rots from its head' holds very true here.

                                            I have always remembered some famous words from my study of history (British and Australian history :) The court-martial of Lt William Bligh, one-time infamous captain of the Bounty, against whom his crew mutinied, and one time Governor of New South Wales, against whom the corrupt but powerful 'Rum Corps' mutinied ... to (nearly quote) "He was an officer of great ability and courage who had one major failing ... he played favourites'.

                                            Regards,
                                            Roy Morien

                                            To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 4, 2007

                                              Hi, Robyn –

                                              Nice to see you, too.

                                              A couple of things come to mind.  You could do something like personal posters to help new and old team members get to know each other a bit.  Or you could do a team values activity to identify a shared set of values that the “new” team will own and refer to in their work.

                                              Both of these activities address the “Who are you?” questions that people have about others on the team as they come together and begin to establish professional trust (professional trust = “I trust your competence and your intentions toward the team.”)

                                              Spending time together on non-work activities can help a team gel by creating the social glue that will stand the team in good stead when they hit rough spots.  People just tend to be a little more generous in conflict when  they share some common ground/experiences.

                                              I’d recommend activities that don’t assume physical prowess.  Activities that get people laughing seem to work best in my experience.  You might try a card game like apples-to-apples, Flux, trivial pursuits or werewolf (though I do have philosophical objections to killing people off).

                                              Best,

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 4, 2007
                                                Laurent Bossavit wrote:
                                                >>> Cook dinner.
                                                >> What an excellent suggestion.
                                                >
                                                > All the credit for it should go to Lister and DeMarco - it's from a
                                                > classic, Chapter 21 of Peopleware. Twenty years old this year, but
                                                > still quite relevant.

                                                Yes, very. And thanks for prodding me to pull it out again this
                                                afternoon. I'd forgotten that story.

                                                - George

                                              • karikday
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 22, 2007
                                                  Robin - read the Five Dysfuntions of a Team. Great teams don't grow
                                                  overnight, but this book is a quick read and provides some great
                                                  insight into the characteristics of a good team. It's all about
                                                  fostering a trusting and committed culture. Once you're done reading
                                                  it - do an infoshare for the rest of the team and pass the book onto
                                                  them.