scrum vision retrospective

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2003
      I am currently in Ken's Scrummaster training and had an interesting
      insight. Ken asked that I post it, see if anybody else has done
      something like this and/or wants to comment on it.

      What happened was the result of a couple of exercises. In the first
      exercise we developed the Sprint backlog amongst other things. In
      the second exercise we were to pretend that we had now completed the
      first Sprint and now had other things to deal with.

      What we did at the start of the second exercise was:
      1) pretend that we had completed the Sprint
      2) look to see what we learned
      3) look to see what we would have like to have learned

      In other words, we did an imaginary retrospection. What we saw in
      this process (took about 15 minutes) was that our first sprint
      didn't find out some things regarding performance that we now
      realized would have been a good idea (something that would have been
      useful to know going into the second sprint). We looked and found
      some things that weren't as important that we could take out.

      The bottom line was this imaginary retrospection helped our original
      definition of our sprint.

      It seems to me that this is something to do with all sprint
      planning. In other words, after defining the vision for the sprint,
      spend another 15-30 minutes then asking yourself - ok, so we've done
      this, what next? Is there something else we should have considered?

      I think this may be useful because while first building the sprint
      there are many many issues and it's sometimes hard to see the entire
      big picture. This mini-retrospection allowed us to see the part of
      the big picture that got lost in picking the backlog originally.

      Comments?
    • Esther Derby
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
        Hi, Alan --

        The process you describe is very interesting! Asking people to imagine
        forward and look back usually reveals gaps in the current plan/approach.

        I do something similar when I facilitate planning:

        1) Imagine the project is complete. Look back on it. What did you
        see/hear/experience? I write down the responses.

        2) Then we look at the current reality -- What are the strengths and
        weaknesses of our current situation (the team, the timeline, the
        environment...) What are the benefits of succeeding with the project?
        What are the dangers of succeeding with the project?

        3) Finally, I ask what the current reality reveals about what we hope to
        accomplish. And then we make a statement of what we can commit to. The
        results is usually a smaller scope (not a big surprise) and a better
        sense of the risks and the limitation of the team. And when these are
        out on the table, the team can do something about them.

        Esther Derby

        Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
        Writer, Consultant, Facilitator:  Insights you can use...
        612-724-8114 voice; 612-724-8115 fax
        =====================================
        Weblog: www.estherderby.com/weblog/blogger.html

        Mark your calendar for the next AYE Conference: November 2004.
        I'll add details as they become available.
        www.ayeconference.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Dean Goodmanson
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
          This weblog entry is a nice parrallel:

          http://martinfowler.com/bliki/StickyTimeline.html

          Feeling (satisfaction?) colors add an interesting
          perspective. I'm not sure if the timeline is to scale
          or just sequential, or if that matters. Definitely
          another reason to add smiley's (color coded?) to your
          weblog/project journal package. ;-)

          > The bottom line was this imaginary retrospection
          > helped our original definition of our sprint.

          > This mini-retrospection allowed us to
          > see the part of
          > the big picture that got lost in picking the backlog
          > originally.
          >
          > Comments?

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • Esther Derby
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003

            > This weblog entry is a nice parrallel:
            >
            > http://martinfowler.com/bliki/StickyTimeline.html

            Very nice, indeed. Tim McKinnon has done some really nice work with
            iteration retrospectives.

            Rather than color code cards, I some times use a "seismograph" or energy
            line above the events to show how people felt (thought I usually avoid
            using the "f" word -feelings- )

            > Feeling (satisfaction?) colors add an interesting
            > perspective. I'm not sure if the timeline is to scale
            > or just sequential, or if that matters. Definitely
            > another reason to add smiley's (color coded?) to your
            > weblog/project journal package. ;-)

            I find that it's really critical to make room for emotional responses...
            without them you never get to the stuff that's important to people.

            Esther Derby
          • Linda Rising
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
              I use four colors -- since a pack of index cards comes that way :-)!
              Red: anger, Blue: happiness, Green: challenge, Yellow: surprise

              You can "see" a lot about the story of the project when the timeline is complete!

              Team members also find that just writing that red card and sticking it on the wall
              helps a lot!

              Linda

              Dean Goodmanson wrote:
              This weblog entry is a nice parrallel:

              http://martinfowler.com/bliki/StickyTimeline.html

              Feeling (satisfaction?) colors add an interesting
              perspective. I'm not sure if the timeline is to scale
              or just sequential, or if that matters.  Definitely
              another reason to add smiley's (color coded?) to your
              weblog/project journal package. ;-)

              The bottom line was this imaginary retrospection
              helped our original definition of our sprint.

              This mini-retrospection allowed us to
              see the part of
              the big picture that got lost in picking the backlog
              originally.

              Comments?

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/

              KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/cIoLAA/9EfwlB/TM

            • Hal Macomber
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                Wow!  What is all this touchy feely stuff in the software community.  I know I've been gone for 8 years, but I don't remember this level of attention to feelings.  Maybe I've been hardened by the construction industry.

                We've been using a sticky note technique for (reverse) phase scheduling projects.  It starts with the end deliverables and then works backwards adding just those value-adding steps.  Constraints are identified along the way.  The 'scheduling' is kept to a high level.  Once at the beginning we look to improve upon the backward pass by going from start to finish.

                You call this a retrospective, as in "let's review what we did and how it came out."  Is that right?  I'm curious what you think about doing the feelings test in the planning of the project.  Any comments?

                Hal
                Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                From: "Esther Derby"
                Subject: RE: scrum vision retrospective

                > This weblog entry is a nice parrallel:
                >
                > http://martinfowler.com/bliki/StickyTimeline.html

                Very nice, indeed. Tim McKinnon has done some really nice work with
                iteration retrospectives.

                Rather than color code cards, I some times use a "seismograph" or energy
                line above the events to show how people felt (thought I usually avoid
                using the "f" word -feelings- )

                > Feeling (satisfaction?) colors add an interesting
                > perspective. I'm not sure if the timeline is to scale
                > or just sequential, or if that matters. Definitely
                > another reason to add smiley's (color coded?) to your
                > weblog/project journal package. ;-)

                I find that it's really critical to make room for emotional responses...
                without them you never get to the stuff that's important to people.

                Esther Derby
              • David Vydra
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
                  I think that it is useful to revisit the sprint plan after a few hours, when
                  the mind had a chance to process the information.

                  Regards,
                  David
                  www.testdriven.com
                  www.richclientportal.com

                  > I am currently in Ken's Scrummaster training and had an interesting
                  > insight. Ken asked that I post it, see if anybody else has done
                  > something like this and/or wants to comment on it.
                  >
                  > What happened was the result of a couple of exercises. In the first
                  > exercise we developed the Sprint backlog amongst other things. In
                  > the second exercise we were to pretend that we had now completed the
                  > first Sprint and now had other things to deal with.
                  >
                  > What we did at the start of the second exercise was:
                  > 1) pretend that we had completed the Sprint
                  > 2) look to see what we learned
                  > 3) look to see what we would have like to have learned
                  >
                  > In other words, we did an imaginary retrospection. What we saw in
                  > this process (took about 15 minutes) was that our first sprint
                  > didn't find out some things regarding performance that we now
                  > realized would have been a good idea (something that would have been
                  > useful to know going into the second sprint). We looked and found
                  > some things that weren't as important that we could take out.
                  >
                  > The bottom line was this imaginary retrospection helped our original
                  > definition of our sprint.
                  >
                  > It seems to me that this is something to do with all sprint
                  > planning. In other words, after defining the vision for the sprint,
                  > spend another 15-30 minutes then asking yourself - ok, so we've done
                  > this, what next? Is there something else we should have considered?
                  >
                  > I think this may be useful because while first building the sprint
                  > there are many many issues and it's sometimes hard to see the entire
                  > big picture. This mini-retrospection allowed us to see the part of
                  > the big picture that got lost in picking the backlog originally.
                  >
                  > Comments?

                • Esther Derby
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 3, 2003

                    Hal –

                    The “feely” stuff has always been there (it’s there in construction, too). Some of us don’t pretend it’s not – humans can’t really “check their emotions at the door’ without removing part of the brain.

                    My experience is that when you acknowledge and deal with the “feely” stuff, it’s much easier to get the work done. (Recent riff on the topic here: http://estherderby.com/writings/first.htm)

                    And yes, I bring up emotional responses in planning (but I don’t use the “f” word).

                    Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                    From: "Esther Derby"

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 4, 2003
                      The McCarthy's (Jim and Michele) wrote an interesting book called Software for your Head that describes protocols
                      or patterns for creating and running great teams. One of these is called Check-in that addresses some of the issues
                      that Esther talks about.

                      http://www.mccarthy-tech.com/elementsofthecore.htm

                      Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                      From: "Esther Derby"

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 4, 2003

                        Yah, check-ins can really do help people focus.  Doesn’t have to take a long time… sometimes I do a one work check in “In one word, what’s happening for you…” then if we hear something that sounds like it needs more time, we can do a little further checking. After the check in, sometimes I ask, “what do you need to be ready to work?  Ok, what do you need to do to make that happen?”

                        BTW, I spent the last two days with Charlie and Edie Seashore, two of the greats in the arena of helping groups work effectively and teaching groups to solve their own problems.  One of the participants expressed some frustration with the length of the check-in… Edie’s reply was that the few times she has succumbed to pressure to skip the check in, she has regretted it.

                        The stuff is still there, and it comes out one way or t’other.  Might was well have it come out with intention and before it sidetracks people from the work they need to do.

                        Purely pragmatic.

                        (well, it’s pragmatic, but not purely so, at least for me.)

                        ED

                        Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                        From: "Esther Derby"

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 4, 2003
                          On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 9:57:58 PM, Esther Derby wrote:

                          > Yah, check-ins can really do help people focus. Doesn't have to take a
                          > long time. sometimes I do a one work check in "In one word, what's
                          > happening for you." then if we hear something that sounds like it needs
                          > more time, we can do a little further checking. After the check in,
                          > sometimes I ask, "what do you need to be ready to work? Ok, what do you
                          > need to do to make that happen?"

                          Yes. I have seen the checkin practice misused, however, as all things seem
                          to be able to be misused. I've seen it turned into a sort of "my story is
                          worse than your story" session, or into "let's all make Susie feel better
                          about her sick pet maggot".

                          I guess everything requires skill and concentration. That's why it's so fun
                          being a person.

                          Tough life is. Then die you do. --Yoda (personal communication)
                        • DianaLarsen
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                            I've used the colored cards in instances where the card colors represented various
                            parts of the project/iteration. So, for the energetic/emotional content, I gave out an
                            equal number (7 to 10) of blue and green dots to each person - to represent when
                            each person felt most "down" or slowed energy (blue) and when they felt "up" and
                            eager to go ahead energy (green). They stick the dots to various cards, weighting by
                            using more dots on a single card if they like. Then we look at the clusters of dots to
                            track the overall energy/emotional pattern of the project/iteration.

                            This thread has taken an interesting turn into a focus on the retrospectives rather
                            than on Allen's initial posting on what he learned from a look back over an imaginary
                            sprint. In the 80's a company in the Netherlands used a similar kind of /imaginary/
                            task to improve their outcomes. They developed a process called "scenario planning,"
                            in which the stragtegic planning group was tasked with imagining various future
                            conditions then developing differing plans to address each future as if it had actually
                            happened. The organization found that by using this process over time, their
                            management staff became more adept at encountering and quickly responding to
                            unforeseen circumstances as they arose in ways that managers prepared with more
                            traditional strategic planning were never able to do. Sounds like increased agility to
                            me.

                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Linda Rising <risingl@a...> wrote:
                            > I use four colors -- since a pack of index cards comes that way :-)!
                            > Red: anger, Blue: happiness, Green: challenge, Yellow: surprise
                            >
                            > You can "see" a lot about the story of the project when the timeline is
                            > complete!
                            >
                            > Team members also find that just writing that red card and sticking it
                            > on the wall
                            > helps a lot!

                            Diana

                            Diana Larsen
                            www.industriallogic.com
                            503-288-3550
                            ___
                            Upcoming Class: "Facilitating Project Retrospectives and Reviews: A Practitioner's
                            Toolkit" Jan. 22-23, 2004 at Oregon Graduate Institure
                            ( http://cpd.ogi.edu/class.asp?n=04-pm-13 )
                            I will be speaking at SD West, March 2004, http://www.sdexpo.com/
                            Recent publications:
                            Cutter IT Journal http://www.cutter.com/itjournal/change.html

                            "Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." Soren A.
                            Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
                          • Linda Rising

                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                                I've been trying to find my reference for this and can't, so here goes.

                                I read about an exercise for the planning stage that involves the
                                planners in creating an
                                explanation to their bosses -- saying why the project (the one they were
                                currently planning)
                                failed. This forced them out of their typically optimistic mode and
                                sunny day scenarios to
                                think about the very real risks they faced. It was very effective...now
                                if I could just find
                                my notes on that...

                                Linda

                                Alan Shalloway wrote:

                                >I am currently in Ken's Scrummaster training and had an interesting
                                >insight. Ken asked that I post it, see if anybody else has done
                                >something like this and/or wants to comment on it.
                                >
                                >What happened was the result of a couple of exercises. In the first
                                >exercise we developed the Sprint backlog amongst other things. In
                                >the second exercise we were to pretend that we had now completed the
                                >first Sprint and now had other things to deal with.
                                >
                                >What we did at the start of the second exercise was:
                                > 1) pretend that we had completed the Sprint
                                > 2) look to see what we learned
                                > 3) look to see what we would have like to have learned
                                >
                                >In other words, we did an imaginary retrospection. What we saw in
                                >this process (took about 15 minutes) was that our first sprint
                                >didn't find out some things regarding performance that we now
                                >realized would have been a good idea (something that would have been
                                >useful to know going into the second sprint). We looked and found
                                >some things that weren't as important that we could take out.
                                >
                                >The bottom line was this imaginary retrospection helped our original
                                >definition of our sprint.
                                >
                                >It seems to me that this is something to do with all sprint
                                >planning. In other words, after defining the vision for the sprint,
                                >spend another 15-30 minutes then asking yourself - ok, so we've done
                                >this, what next? Is there something else we should have considered?
                                >
                                >I think this may be useful because while first building the sprint
                                >there are many many issues and it's sometimes hard to see the entire
                                >big picture. This mini-retrospection allowed us to see the part of
                                >the big picture that got lost in picking the backlog originally.
                                >
                                >Comments?

                              • Robert Henley
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                                  > In the 80's a company in the Netherlands used a similar kind of
                                  /imaginary/
                                  > task to improve their outcomes. They developed a process called "scenario
                                  planning,"
                                  > in which the stragtegic planning group was tasked with imagining various
                                  future
                                  > conditions then developing differing plans to address each future as if it
                                  had actually
                                  > happened. The organization found that by using this process over time,
                                  their
                                  > management staff became more adept at encountering and quickly responding
                                  > unforeseen circumstances as they arose in ways that managers prepared with
                                  more
                                  > traditional strategic planning were never able to do. Sounds like
                                  increased agility to
                                  > me.

                                  That company was Royal Dutch/Shell, and this kind of planning made them the
                                  only oil company to come out of the OPEC crisis of the 1970's with a profit!
                                  That story (among others) is documented in "The Art of the Long View" by
                                  Peter
                                  Schwartz. It certainly affected how I think about things long-term.

                                  Robert Henley
                                  Software Architect
                                  Certified ScrumMaster
                                • Boris Gloger
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                    I read this, a view weeks ago - I found this concept quit interesting,
                                    BUT what i did not liked was the reduction of emotions to just 4.

                                    I mean we do have more feelings as Madness, Sadness, Gladness,
                                    Afraidness - the McCarthies did a great job by saying that emotions are
                                    important. But the problem now is that we are reduced to four.

                                    The direction I like the way not.

                                    Boris

                                    (btw - I agree that is difficult to express emotions,...)

                                    Boris Gloger

                                    Vienna, Austria
                                    +43 699 1699 4977
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                      On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 8:56:55 AM, Boris Gloger wrote:

                                      > I read this, a view weeks ago - I found this concept quit interesting,
                                      > BUT what i did not liked was the reduction of emotions to just 4.

                                      > I mean we do have more feelings as Madness, Sadness, Gladness,
                                      > Afraidness - the McCarthies did a great job by saying that emotions are
                                      > important. But the problem now is that we are reduced to four.

                                      > The direction I like the way not.

                                      I'm sure they are not saying -- and that they did not say -- that there
                                      /are/ just four emotions.

                                      It's a communications trick, I would say, intended to focus our attention
                                      on those specific dimensions, to help get to the issues rather than deal
                                      with delicate nuances of feeling.

                                      There is really no such thing as bad weather,
                                      only different kinds of good weather. ~John Ruskin
                                    • Linda Rising
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                        Hi Boris,

                                        It's been a couple of years since I edited this book but as I remember there are studies to show that any
                                        "feeling" can be expressed as one of these four or a combination thereof and that the benefit of adding
                                        yet another emotion isn't worth the added burden in vocabulary. It reminds me of a discussion I once had
                                        with Martin Fowler about whether to combine two patterns or keep them separate. His answer  was
                                        something like: By keeping them separate you add another pattern to the pattern language.
                                        That's an extra burden for the user. Is it worth it?

                                        In both cases, what we have is increased expressiveness at the cost of increased cognitive effort -- so,
                                        it's like a lot of things in life -- trade-offs :-)!

                                        I know Jim and/or Michele can give you a better answer -- they've thought about this stuff for years
                                        and taught zillions of bootcamps. As I'm sure you've read -- they started these ideas when they were
                                        both at Microsoft and over time found the "patterns" they describe -- so they're not theoretical constructs
                                        that were developed in isolation but things that have worked successfully to build great teams.

                                        Linda

                                        Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                                        From: "Esther Derby"

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                          Wish I had said this :-)! What I saw at the McCarthy bootcamp was a "protocol" -- where it was
                                          easy to say how you felt without too much soul searching and also easy to get what others were
                                          feeling -- it worked and then you could move on.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                            Just thought of a story that Michele told at bootcamp.

                                            How many times have you been at a team meeting (maybe a Scrum?) and someone joined the group,
                                            clearly in a bad mood. Maybe he slamed his book on the table or sat down heavily or just had a nasty
                                            expression on his face. Now everyone in the room is wondering what's wrong. Maybe the guy next
                                            to him knows him well enough to ask what's up and, of course, the reply is, "Nah, it's
                                            nothing." Everyone is thinking, "Has he heard something about the rumor of lay-offs? Is he angry
                                            with me?" That means the focus of the energy in the room is on the anxiety that everyone feels
                                            instead of the work at hand.

                                            And all of this for perhaps no reason. Maybe the guy had a flat tire on the way to work. But, of
                                            course, he doesn't want to take up "valuable" time to tell everyone his problems. Wouldn't it be great
                                            if there were a simple protocol that would begin every meeting. Go around the room and each person
                                            can say: I'm <emotion or list of emotions> (optional short explanation) or pass. It takes a minute or
                                            two and when the angry guy says, "I'm mad because I slept late and didn't get my morning run, but
                                            I'm in!" he feels better and every person in the room is now OK. *And* because he knows
                                            he'll get to Checkin, he comes in to the room in an entirely different way (there's the real benefit).

                                            It's like a retrospective. The team knows there will be a time to say what needs to be said. They'll get
                                            to write that red card. They'll feel better when they write that red card *and* they'll feel better even
                                            before they write that red card because they know .......

                                            :-)

                                            I'm a believer :-)!

                                            Ron Jeffries wrote:
[...]

                                          • Diana Larsen
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                              I don't debate the result, but I do find it interesting that we humans
                                              seem to have identified a 3:1 ratio of "negative" emotion to "positive"
                                              ones. Why could it not be further reduced to: "I feel bad" "I feel
                                              good" if we take the collapsing to its logical conclusion?

                                              I wonder if it is where we put our attention - like people of the far
                                              North who reportedly have many more names for snow or we here in the
                                              Northwest who can distinguish numerous variations in the types of rain.
                                              Do you suppose there would be more finesse to "gladness" if we really
                                              knew how to put our attention there? Or really found "positive" emotion
                                              to be as interesting and informative about each other as "negative"
                                              ones? I myself find quite a difference between contentment and joy -
                                              and whether I am feeling one or the other would make a difference in my
                                              work. Is anyone ready to put in the time to categorize and create a
                                              taxonomy of positive emotion to include at check in?

                                              Diana

                                              Diana Larsen
                                              www.industriallogic.com
                                              503-288-3550
                                              ___

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                  Message

                                                  Linda writes:
                                                  > It reminds me of a discussion I
                                                  once had with Martin Fowler about
                                                  > whether to combine two patterns
                                                  or keep them separate. His answer  was
                                                  > something like: By keeping them separate you add another pattern to the pattern language.
                                                  > That's an extra burden for the user. Is it worth it?

                                                  Linda:

                                                  Well, Alexander thinks it is.  That's why he wrote:

                                                      "A City is not a Tree"

                                                  i.e. a pattern language is _not_ a discretized reductionist conceptual "tree" .... it allows
                                                  overlapping structures.

                                                  Overlapping is important because it basically says that objects and patterns
                                                  in the world do not have necessarily an "exclusion principle".  In other words, "things" in one pattern
                                                  may form other patterns with other things external to it.

                                                  This also prevents for "self-righteous" hierarchies:  things can be categorized, arranged
                                                  or classified in many ways.... all in an overlapping model.

                                                  There are many truths to a "model".

                                                  This is true for patterns, object models, semantic networks, conceptual graphs and even
                                                  Bayesian networks.

                                                  As far as the emotional Hilbert space i.e. emotions are superpositions of an
                                                  orthonormal basis of emotions, I don't buy it.   I think emotions are more complex
                                                  than that.... and won't even dare to give a quick answer to that :-)

                                                  - Mike

                                                  Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:36:54 -0600
                                                  From: "Esther Derby"

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                    Message

                                                    RJ wrote:
                                                     >  I'm sure they are not saying -- and that they did not say -- that there
                                                     >  /are/ just four emotions.
                                                    Ron:

                                                    I agree, I have a "feeling" there are more than four :-)

                                                    - Mike

                                                    "Programming Rant"

                                                        Programming is about creating emergent structure with an evolving goal in mind.

                                                      Programming is both about breaking existing symmetries and
                                                        spontaneously creating new symmetries.

                                                      Programming is about the creation, evolution and anhilation of patterns
                                                      that serve as generators of software forms.

                                                      Pattern languages are autocatalytic chains of generative rules that iteratively,
                                                        through the application of one pattern at a time, create new forms.

                                                      Programming is about genetic-like trials and errors that maximize
                                                        a "fitness landscape" through better and better prototypes that
                                                      grow through a process similar to morphogenesis.  Testing simply
                                                      sets the expectation of what prototypes have minimally fulfilled
                                                      a utility function.

                                                       Programming is self-organization that produces self-consistent knowledge structures.

                                                      Programming is better served by multi-paradigmic programming-genetic pool that
                                                      includes constructs from all programming paradigms: logical, functional
                                                      and prescriptive (OO, structured, etc.).

                                                  • Esther Derby
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                      In a retro, I navigate the issue of naming emotions by using a
                                                      seismograph. I draw line at neutral ("It's a job") and then I have
                                                      people draw their "energy" line over the course of the project relative
                                                      to that line.

                                                      It's not so critical that people name the emotions in the retrospective.
                                                      The strength of the emotional response gives me an idea of the
                                                      significance of events to the people on the team, and that generally
                                                      coincides with the juice, where there's potential for big learning.

                                                      I'm having a little trouble envisioning limiting the number of emotion
                                                      word choices in a check-in.

                                                    • Ken Schwaber
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                        Message
                                                        I recently read "The Tipping Point" by Boris Gladwell and wonder what and when is the tipping point for agile methods and scrum project management? When will we have achieved the critical mass so that PMI teachings are "out of date" and "out of style"?

                                                        Ken
                                                      • acockburn@aol.com
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                          In a message dated 12/15/2003 3:26:06 PM Mountain Standard Time, derby@... writes:

                                                          I'm having a little trouble envisioning limiting the number of emotion
                                                          word choices in a check-in.
                                                          ---> I did, too ... you have to try it to see it work

                                                          Alistair Cockburn

                                                        • je@pfa.dk
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Dec 16, 2003
                                                            If one in two Scrum Masters have the same positive experince of Scrum
                                                            as I do, it should not be long.
                                                            It is positive to see how Scrum Mastering classes are increasing
                                                            rapidly.
                                                            Dare I hope somone has time to organize a Scrum conferance in 2004?
                                                            Jens

                                                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"