Re: [scrumdevelopment] Reducing resistance to change

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
      On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:01:05AM -0500, acockburn@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 11/26/2003 4:25:52 AM Mountain Standard Time,
      > ---> I've been working on the fear-of-change angle for a course on
      > moving to agile, and came up with this frightening list
      > (which I haven't been brave enough to show to real course attendees ;-)
      [snip]
      > Recapping, those would be: Change is
      > 1 Tiring
      > 2 Socially different
      > 3 Potential for failure
      > 4 Unknown
      > 5 Implied criticism of previous methods
      > 6 Exposes flaws in internal model of reality
      > 7 Cheating
      > 8 Cheating is fun or NOT fun to someone up the management chain
      >
      > The interesting question that follows is:
      > What techniques / actions reduce any of those eight obstacles to change?

      A good book with several specific techniques for overcoming
      some of these kinds of resistance is:
      "Lightning in a Bottle: Proven Lessons for Leading Change"
      by David H. Baum

      the same author also wrote a book that applies principles
      of Aikido to resolving conflicts "The Randori Principles:
      The Path of Effortless Leadership")

      See <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/ref=s_sf_b_as/102-4686233-1828138>