Re: Agile Portfolio Managment

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "bflynn138" <bflynn138@...>
      wrote:

      > Can anyone point me to a resource, article, template, etc. on
      managing
      > the entire project portfolio utilizing agile techniques? We are
      > successfully utlizing Agile for individual projects but I would
      now
      > like to apply these same techniques to resource allocation &
      management
      > of interteam dependencies in addition to creating a common
      framework
      > for estimating. I am envisioning a Scrum of Scrum's with
      > ScrumMaster's/product managers (owners) to regularly inspect and
      adapt
      > the entire portfolio. The goal would be to create a release plan
      of all
      > features for multiple product lines, slotting each project into
      sprints
      > since they are largely the same resources. This includes product
      > enhancements and external client work,. Any assistance would be
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Brendan Flynn
      > Manager of Project Management

      Brendan:
      For something you can get on-line, I'd look into Jeff Sutherland's
      All-At-Once Scrum (http://jeffsutherland.com/scrum/2006/08/type-c-
      scrum-agile-enterprise.html - note you will probably need to copy
      and paste this link for it to work) which includes a link to
      his "Future of Scrum: Parallel Pipelining of Sprints in Complex
      Projects". I'm not sure how good Powerpoint slides by themselves
      are, but the slides to my talk "Scaling Scrum With Lean Software And
      Design Patterns: Going Beyond Scrum of Scrums" are available for a
      short time more at
      http://www.netobjectives.com/free-seminars-notes/ (note you will
      have to register to get them).

      For a book, Dean Leffingwell's Scaling Software Agility: Best
      Practices for Large Enterprises discusses several issues beyond
      process that are essential to scaling Scrum to the enterprise.

      Alan Shalloway
      CEO, Net Objectives
      Maximizing Product Development ROI through training, coaching and
      consulting.