Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Portfolio Managment

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3 8:29 PM
    • matt gelbwaks
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3 9:56 PM
        As the blogger on the portfolio management blog, my advice on the subject is twofold:

        1) Take your agile principals and abstract them up so that they cover your organization or company and then use them to manage your portfolio as you had previously used your principals to manage you projects

        2) Charter your portfolio (and your PMO) so that the entire team understands what the goals and objectives really are.  Once there, conceive of your program/project reviews as if they were iteration reviews - set the portfolio review so that every project manager can come to it with their burn ups and burn downs fresh from theis most recent iteration, then each undertaking can be reviewed such that its current trend is compared to its plan and the current business value can be evaluated and affirmed.

        I'd be more than happy to go into any or all of this in more detail, but let's do it off list as this really is not Scrum Development.

        Feel free to reach me at matt.gelbwaks@...

      • srinivas chillara
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3 10:24 PM
          I thought Portfolio management was more about
          monitoring the business indicators for a group of
          projects, Schedule, budgets etc...
          It is not the same as project management. In fact, I
          suppose an important function for portfolio management
          is to provide an supportive environment for good
          methodologies to work (like Scrum for instance).

          Ofcourse a Project protfolio manager with an eye and
          stomach for detail would probably delve into how
          something like Scrum is working and guide projects on
          a hands-on manner (!?! not always a good thing, if it
          keeps on going).

          > As the blogger on the portfolio management blog, my
          > advice on the subject is
          > twofold:
          >
          > 1) Take your agile principals and abstract them up
          > so that they cover your
          > organization or company and then use them to manage
          > your portfolio as you
          > had previously used your principals to manage you
          > projects
          >
          > 2) Charter your portfolio (and your PMO) so that the
          > entire team understands
          > what the goals and objectives really are. Once
          > there, conceive of your
          > program/project reviews as if they were iteration
          > reviews - set the
          > portfolio review so that every project manager can
          > come to it with their
          > burn ups and burn downs fresh from theis most recent
          > iteration, then each
          > undertaking can be reviewed such that its current
          > trend is compared to its
          > plan and the current business value can be evaluated
          > and affirmed.
          >
          > I'd be more than happy to go into any or all of this
          > in more detail, but
          > let's do it off list as this really is not Scrum
          > Development.
          >
          > Feel free to reach me at matt.gelbwaks@...

          http://in.answers.yahoo.com/
        • John Rusk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4 2:20 AM
            There is a section on this in the second edition of Alistair Cockburn's
            book, "Agile Software Development".

            John

            > I thought Portfolio management was more about
            > monitoring the business indicators for a group of
            > projects, Schedule, budgets etc...
          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4 5:19 AM

              Exactly! The same as a CEO monitoring the progress along a road map, or toward annual goals. You should be able to ask any exec how his or her part of the business is doing, and then ask them how they know that.

              Ken

              I thought Portfolio management was more about
              monitoring the business indicators for a group of
              projects, Schedule, budgets etc...
              It is not the same as project management. In fact, I
              suppose an important function for portfolio management
              is to provide an supportive environment for good
              methodologies to work (like Scrum for instance).

              Ofcourse a Project protfolio manager with an eye and
              stomach for detail would probably delve into how
              something like Scrum is working and guide projects on
              a hands-on manner (!?! not always a good thing, if it
              keeps on going).

              > As the blogger on the portfolio management blog, my
              > advice on the subject is
              > twofold:
              >
              > 1) Take your agile principals and abstract them up
              > so that they cover your
              > organization or company and then use them to manage
              > your portfolio as you
              > had previously used your principals to manage you
              > projects
              >
              > 2) Charter your portfolio (and your PMO) so that the
              > entire team understands
              > what the goals and objectives really are. Once
              > there, conceive of your
              > program/project reviews as if they were iteration
              > reviews - set the
              > portfolio review so that every project manager can
              > come to it with their
              > burn ups and burn downs fresh from theis most recent
              > iteration, then each
              > undertaking can be reviewed such that its current
              > trend is compared to its
              > plan and the current business value can be evaluated
              > and affirmed.
              >
              > I'd be more than happy to go into any or all of this
              > in more detail, but
              > let's do it off list as this really is not Scrum
              > Development.
              >
              > Feel free to reach me at matt.gelbwaks@ globant.com

              http://in.answers. yahoo.com/

            • Alan Shalloway
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4 6:59 PM
                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "bflynn138" <bflynn138@...>
                wrote:

                > Can anyone point me to a resource, article, template, etc. on
                managing
                > the entire project portfolio utilizing agile techniques? We are
                > successfully utlizing Agile for individual projects but I would
                now
                > like to apply these same techniques to resource allocation &
                management
                > of interteam dependencies in addition to creating a common
                framework
                > for estimating. I am envisioning a Scrum of Scrum's with
                > ScrumMaster's/product managers (owners) to regularly inspect and
                adapt
                > the entire portfolio. The goal would be to create a release plan
                of all
                > features for multiple product lines, slotting each project into
                sprints
                > since they are largely the same resources. This includes product
                > enhancements and external client work,. Any assistance would be
                > appreciated.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Brendan Flynn
                > Manager of Project Management

                Brendan:
                For something you can get on-line, I'd look into Jeff Sutherland's
                All-At-Once Scrum (http://jeffsutherland.com/scrum/2006/08/type-c-
                scrum-agile-enterprise.html - note you will probably need to copy
                and paste this link for it to work) which includes a link to
                his "Future of Scrum: Parallel Pipelining of Sprints in Complex
                Projects". I'm not sure how good Powerpoint slides by themselves
                are, but the slides to my talk "Scaling Scrum With Lean Software And
                Design Patterns: Going Beyond Scrum of Scrums" are available for a
                short time more at
                http://www.netobjectives.com/free-seminars-notes/ (note you will
                have to register to get them).

                For a book, Dean Leffingwell's Scaling Software Agility: Best
                Practices for Large Enterprises discusses several issues beyond
                process that are essential to scaling Scrum to the enterprise.

                Alan Shalloway
                CEO, Net Objectives
                Maximizing Product Development ROI through training, coaching and
                consulting.