Measuring Scrum Effectiveness

  • jsapriel19
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3 12:15 PM
      I am wondering if anyone made the effort to collect either empirical
      or "scientific" measurements of the impact and effectiveness of the
      Scrum Framework on Software Development organizations ???

      I recently heard of a PA based organization that significantly reduced
      the "percentage" (I am quoting here) of defects in their code,
      significantly reduced attrition in its development group and increased
      job satisfaction.

      That is super cool and it is anecdotic data.

      Has anyone compiled more empirical data, any research in progress ?

      If not, anyone crasy enough to undertake this project with me, please
      contact me.
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3 5:52 PM

        We’re working on it and will have some ideas by the Agile Conference,

        Ken

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 7:08 PM
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jsapriel19" <jsapriel@...>
          wrote:

          > I am wondering if anyone made the effort to collect either
          empirical
          > or "scientific" measurements of the impact and effectiveness of
          the
          > Scrum Framework on Software Development organizations ???
          >
          > I recently heard of a PA based organization that significantly
          reduced
          > the "percentage" (I am quoting here) of defects in their code,
          > significantly reduced attrition in its development group and
          increased
          > job satisfaction.
          >
          > That is super cool and it is anecdotic data.
          >
          > Has anyone compiled more empirical data, any research in progress ?
          >
          > If not, anyone crasy enough to undertake this project with me,
          please
          > contact me.

          One of the interesting measures that is hard to do is how much code
          are you not writing. If the product owner can tell you they have
          enough function before they would have stopped with a waterfall
          you've done more than increase productivity. You've decreased the
          complexity of the software since it is smaller and simpler.

          Alan Shalloway
          CEO, Net Objectives
          Maximizing Product Development ROI through training, coaching and
          consulting.
        • Peter Hundermark
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5 8:18 AM
            > One of the interesting measures that is hard to do is how much code
            > are you not writing. If the product owner can tell you they have
            > enough function before they would have stopped with a waterfall
            > you've done more than increase productivity. You've decreased the
            > complexity of the software since it is smaller and simpler.
            >
            > Alan Shalloway
            > CEO, Net Objectives
            > Maximizing Product Development ROI through training, coaching and
            > consulting.

            I agree. I think quantitative metrics are hard to get right with
            Agile methods. I rely a lot on qualitative measures like "is the
            PO/customer/user satisfied?" "Is the team stressed?"

            Yet there must be helpful things we can measure, at least for
            software that already has real users. Perhaps turnaround time on user
            requests - from request to shipping (or declining <g>)?

            I look forward to hearing what others are doing and what wisdom
            emerges at the conferences.

            Peter