Re: Origins of Scrum

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 3 5:55 AM
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Cancelliere
      <nickaustin74@...> wrote:

      > That said, I do think there are principles with Scrum. If you know
      > the values and practices then how do you not have principles which
      > drive the reasons behind them? Why is there one product owner?
      Why
      > small sprints? Why is done considered acceptance? Why do you
      > inspect and adapt? Etc. I would imagine when you start to explain
      > the "why" you start to realize the principles behind it, and thus
      > behind Scrum.

      One other thing. The post I mentioned on fast-flexible-flow describes
      the principle of eliminating delay since delays cause waste. Think of
      the practices around Scrum that are geared towards eliminating waste:
      1) the workcell
      2) product owner available to team
      3) information radiators
      4) daily scrums
      5) sprint planning

      There are more I am sure, but I haven't had my coffee yet. :)

      Alan Shalloway
      CEO, Net Objectives
      Maximizing Product Development ROI through training, coaching and
      consulting.
    • Michael Spayd
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 5 11:44 AM
        Hi Alan,

        On 7/5/07, Alan Shalloway <alshall@...> wrote:

        I have made several posts illustrating these connections.
        Ironically, there has been more discussion on my restatement of
        _Jeff's_ assertion (as if _I_ had come up with it when I have
        already said isn't that important anyway) than there has with
        whether my comments about using Lean in the way I do is correct or
        incorrect. I am certainly interested in people's opinions if they
        think my posts are useful, useless, questionable, unclear, concise,
        … (whatever).

        Thanks for clarifying that, Alan, it was a bit annoying that others seemed not to understand your intent. I can't comment on your use of Lean except to say it makes good sense to me (I am knowledeable, but can't claim to be an expert in Lean). I would like to emphasize another point of yours in the Agile methodology realm where I can claim expertise (or at least old dog status). That is, you first distinguished principles from practices, then said something to the effect that Scrum does not have clearly articulated principles (unlike XP or Crystal, for instance), even if the practices are quite clear.

        For me, this was a very useful observation. It is a big gap, IMO. Dave Barrett (above) did what I take to be a good first draft at articulating some principles, but these have clearly not been validated by the Scrum community. I believe, as Dave indicated, they the underlying set of Scrum principles are few and simple, but unarticulated nevertheles.

        Does that make sense to others? or do the rest of you just believe  that that would be helpful? Again, the principles in an Agile methodology do not change (though they might slowly evolve), whereas the practices are adapted by a self-organizing team and a competent coach according to experience and circumstance (and using the applications of the relevant principle).

        Comments?

        Michael

        --
        Michael K. Spayd
        Cogility Consulting Solutions, LLC

        "Leading Agile Enterprise Transformations"