Re: Origins of Scrum

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 3, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Cancelliere
      <nickaustin74@...> wrote:

      > That said, I do think there are principles with Scrum. If you know
      > the values and practices then how do you not have principles which
      > drive the reasons behind them? Why is there one product owner?
      Why
      > small sprints? Why is done considered acceptance? Why do you
      > inspect and adapt? Etc. I would imagine when you start to explain
      > the "why" you start to realize the principles behind it, and thus
      > behind Scrum.

      Oh I definitely believe there are principles underneath Scrum. See if
      these fit:
      1) eliminate waste (don't do things you don't need to)
      2) optimize the whole (derives the workcell)
      3) respect people (the team decides what the work is)
      4) create knowledge (build software in iterations)
      5) deliver fast (deliver software in iterations)
      6) defer commitment (don't decide everything you are going to build
      at once, wait until just before building it so you can adapt to
      changing conditions)
      7) build quality in (so you can maintain your speed)

      Also, see my fast-flexible-flow was origins of scrum post.

      I believe these are 7 principles that Scrum is consistent with. These
      are the 7 principles the Poppendieck's mention are the principles of
      Lean Software Development.

      At the team level, these principles imply Scrum. At the enterprise
      level they imply more.

      Alan Shalloway
      CEO, Net Objectives
      Maximizing Product Development ROI through training, coaching and
      consulting.
    • Michael Spayd
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 5, 2007
        Hi Alan,

        On 7/5/07, Alan Shalloway <alshall@...> wrote:

        I have made several posts illustrating these connections.
        Ironically, there has been more discussion on my restatement of
        _Jeff's_ assertion (as if _I_ had come up with it when I have
        already said isn't that important anyway) than there has with
        whether my comments about using Lean in the way I do is correct or
        incorrect. I am certainly interested in people's opinions if they
        think my posts are useful, useless, questionable, unclear, concise,
        … (whatever).

        Thanks for clarifying that, Alan, it was a bit annoying that others seemed not to understand your intent. I can't comment on your use of Lean except to say it makes good sense to me (I am knowledeable, but can't claim to be an expert in Lean). I would like to emphasize another point of yours in the Agile methodology realm where I can claim expertise (or at least old dog status). That is, you first distinguished principles from practices, then said something to the effect that Scrum does not have clearly articulated principles (unlike XP or Crystal, for instance), even if the practices are quite clear.

        For me, this was a very useful observation. It is a big gap, IMO. Dave Barrett (above) did what I take to be a good first draft at articulating some principles, but these have clearly not been validated by the Scrum community. I believe, as Dave indicated, they the underlying set of Scrum principles are few and simple, but unarticulated nevertheles.

        Does that make sense to others? or do the rest of you just believe  that that would be helpful? Again, the principles in an Agile methodology do not change (though they might slowly evolve), whereas the practices are adapted by a self-organizing team and a competent coach according to experience and circumstance (and using the applications of the relevant principle).

        Comments?

        Michael

        --
        Michael K. Spayd
        Cogility Consulting Solutions, LLC

        "Leading Agile Enterprise Transformations"