How did you become a Delivery Manager?

  • Nam Dao Xuan Thien
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007

      Dear ALL,

      I'm preparing to make the transition from a project manager to a delivery manager. For the company I work, we are not strong in software production and we are still getting a lot of defects after post implementation.

      Recently our CEO has decided to divide our center organization into three positions separately. One person works as a marketing/business development manager. One person works as a capability manager. And I work as a delivery manager. I will be responsible to manage all project managers/ team leaders to work together for project success.

      The organization process is a quite simple, here the capability manager is person who creates a resource pool with full skills to work in a software project. When a project coming, I will establish/select a team with people from this pool. I think the process above is simple, but I am wondering if this is good scenario in the software production. I am also wondering how to define the quality constraints related to people in the pool before joining in the project.

      I want have some your advices from your experiences. Please post me at least 5 best practices that can make project in good health in this situation and drive quality process in the right direction?

      Thanks in advance for the replies,

      Binh Nguyen