Using Scrum for Student Semester Project

  • patrick.kristiansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2007
      Hi!

      I am currently a student at Aalborg University (AAU), Denmark
      (northern Europe), and I am starting on my fifth semester of software
      engineering. I'm wondering if Scrum would be a feasible project model
      for my next semester, and I'd like your opinion on it. But first some
      background knowledge.

      In my year group, we are currently around 30 students and each
      semester we are usually split into groups of 5-7 people. Also, the
      individual groups work independently of the other groups.

      The next semester is going to be special in that regard, because all
      groups are supposed to work together on a common product. The
      different groups are supposed to do different parts of the product
      and coordinate their work in some manner. Some guidance is given
      from the lecturers on how to organize the groups and work together,
      but a lot of freedom is given too.

      Would it be possible to use Scrum taking the following factors into
      consideration:

      1) No groups can work full hours every day because we also attend
      different lectures during the week. In the beginning of the semester,
      there may only 1,5 full days to do project work. The last month or so
      of the semester are dedicated to project work though.

      2) Each group is assigned a supervisor, which might be able to
      function as a sort of "product owner". The problem is that the
      supervisor is not _really_ the product owner, and he is not supposed
      to set demands for the product - he can only give guidance.
      Furthermore, different supervisors are chosen for the groups, so
      there is not one single supervisor that could be the product owner of
      the full product.

      Since we are multiple groups, I'd think that is necessary to apply
      a "Scrum of Scrums" approach.

      Can you give any suggestions to this situation? Any help is
      appreciated, so that I have arguments to presents for the supervisors
      and lecturers on why to use Scrum.

      I do not have any experience with Scrum myself, but I'd like some ;-
      ). If I get response from you that indicates that Scrum will be a
      good solution, I will definately by Ken Schwaber's book.

      Thanks in advance,
      Patrick
    • KasparLund
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007
        Hi Patrick

        Learning to work several groups together on the same projects is
        certainly relevant traning for the industry. It is a big challenge
        for most companies. Good technical skills are important but good
        projects management is also a key issue on large projects.

        I think using Scrum is a great idea.

        1) How would you devide the responsibility between the teams. (this
        is where project mangement meets architectural or domain model
        consideration )

        2) Will you be allowed to train the superviser as Product Oweners
        (this is a situation we are confronted with every time we introduce
        scrum to a customer)

        3) If you arrange it so that everybody works focused on the project
        at the same time say monday and tuesday to minimize task switching

        sincerely kaspar