RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Splinter Department

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
      You just took a good idea and made it a bad one. I
      really don't like this arm-twisting idea that every
      Friday you will work on something outside of your
      project. What happens when spring goals are not being
      met? The better idea was 3M which leaves the decision
      up to the individual who has other commitments (
      Sprint Goals ).

      -- Paul

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002

        Personally, I’ve always let people work the hours they want unless some big wig tells me I can’t allow that. Many of the companies I’ve worked with—especially over the past 7 years—have been distributed across more than one time zone. At that point it’s irrelevant when people work or are in the office. In practice I never really care when people take their time off the mainline project. “Friday afternoon” was more symbolic than anything else. Certainly if someone wanted to attend a product user’s group meeting or such out of the office I’ve encouraged that whenever it was scheduled. The idea was to have the person spend some company time doing things that indirectly, rather than directly, benefit the project. Reading magazines, articles, web sites, etc. all count in that direction. Similarly, I’ve pushed programmers to attend conferences that are outside their normal realm in the past because I think these help encourage creative problem-solving. For example, I’ve sent C++ programmers to Eiffel conferences even though that company had no possibility of doing Eiffel programming. It just helps people learn to approach problems differently. That’s a good benefit to encouraging time away from the mainline project.

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002

          You’re right—there can be problems with telling individuals on a team that the Friday afternoon “should” or “must” be spent off the project. I’ve never had a programmer consider it “arm-twisting” though. Usually what happens is that the programmer knows that Friday afternoon is his for anything remotely related to work as long as he has made respectable progress on his assignments and almost every programmer I’ve worked with will do whatever they can to be able to have that time for pursuing their own special interests.

          Of course I’ve never truly forced a programmer not to work on the main project and work on outside things. If a project is behind, desperately needs a few hours, or was going to be in a position where people were going to come in over the weekend (rather voluntarily or not) it would be criminal to tell people not to code on Friday but to be in on Saturday. My comment about telling people that I don’t want them to work on the mainline task is more to fully get the point across that they are not going to impress me with their dedication or commitment by working on the project on Friday afternoon in most cases. With most developers it is very hard to convince them of your sincerity when you tell them you would really rather have them with their feet pitched up reading a good book or contributing to an open source project or such for that few hours a week.

          Also, I want to be clear that I started my comment with “I’ve dealt with this two ways in the past…”.  While I think giving people dedicated time to pursue beneficial tasks outside the mainline project it is not how I’ve been doing it with teams over the past few years. I actually find it much better to just underallocate tasks to the sprint and establish a culture where people know it is OK to spend a little time each week (as appropriate, depending on where the project is and how the sprint is going) on unplanned tasks. However, it is not easy to establish this as part of the culture in most organizations, usually there’s a CEO or CFO or someone who walks around asking “why isn’t Johnny coding?”

          --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
> [...]

          > into a sprint
          > backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that
          > is 160 hours. I'll
          > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of
          > identified backlog.
          > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that
          > team's day (meetings,
          > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them
          > into a mode right off
          > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to
          > shortcuts. This is
          > different from commitment to the project, though.
          > The team is expected
          > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is
          > allowed in their
          > schedules because they are all trusted to know how
          > best to spend that
          > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately
          > enough, is pretty
          > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by

        • mpoppendieck
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 10, 2002
> [...]
            > this two ways in the past.". While I think giving people
            dedicated time
            > to pursue beneficial tasks outside the mainline project it is not
            how
            > I've been doing it with teams over the past few years. I actually
            find
            > it much better to just underallocate tasks to the sprint and
            establish a
            > culture where people know it is OK to spend a little time each
            week (as
            > appropriate, depending on where the project is and how the sprint
            is
            > going) on unplanned tasks. However, it is not easy to establish
            this as
            > part of the culture in most organizations, usually there's a CEO
            or CFO
            > or someone who walks around asking "why isn't Johnny coding?"

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
            707
            > 209021:HM/A=965714/R=0/O=1/I=brandr-promo-flowersale-alerts-
            lrecm/*http:
            > /shopping.yahoo.com/promotions/flowers/index.html>
            >

            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egrou
            > pmail/S=1707209021:HM/A=965714/rand=548790149>

          • Paul Clanton
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 11, 2002

              With Mary’s subsequent clarification, I agree that the difference is significant.  The way I’ve treated the sabbatical in the past is pretty much as you’ve described it, namely outside the team and outside the backlogs for a concentrated stretch.

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 11, 2002

                I think Mike’s just touched on one of the major issues.  All the good ideas we have been tossing around (and they _are_ all good) depend heavily on the culture of the organization.  What works in one organization may not work in another.  3M’s 15% works because it’s a part of their culture.  The sabbatical worked for me because it fit the culture of the organization I’d worked for at the time.  Mike’s Friday afternoon idea worked with the culture at one place but not another.

                We’re really talking about encouraging innovation.  If the culture doesn’t support innovation then none of what we’re talking about may be possible.  In this case, I would suggest either working very hard to change that culture or starting to look for another job before the company folds!  On the other hand, if the company does support innovation, one of these approaches may be a good solution.

                I personally favor the sabbatical approach for the same reasons that I find Scrum works well for me, namely that it promotes a concentrated, uninterrupted time for people to become immersed in something.  However, the central theme is encouraging innovation by allowing people time to do something outside of their regular project tasks and that’s more important than the mechanics.  Find something that works and consistently push at it.

                --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

> [...]

                > into a sprint
                > backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that
                > is 160 hours. I'll
                > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of
                > identified backlog.
                > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that
                > team's day (meetings,
                > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them
                > into a mode right off
                > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to
                > shortcuts. This is
                > different from commitment to the project, though.
                > The team is expected
                > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is
                > allowed in their
                > schedules because they are all trusted to know how
                > best to spend that
                > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately
                > enough, is pretty
                > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by

              • Jonas Bengtsson
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 20, 2002
                  Hi all,

                  I'm going to write a paper about product-lines (for a course called
                  product-line architecture). So I thought of writing about how product-lins
                  are managed in agile development. Most literature I've read state that a
                  planned BDUF is the only way to go.
                  * Are there any articles etc that describes how to deal with product-lines
                  in agile development?
                  * Does anyone have any experiences with product-lines in agile development?

                  Thanks in advance,
                  Jonas
                • mpoppendieck
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 21, 2002
                    Jonas,

                    You might want to check out the following page, titled 'Lean
                    Design', on my web site:

                    http://www.poppendieck.com/design.htm

                    A good article to check out is "How Microsoft Makes Large Teams Work
                    Like Small Teams", Michael Cusumano, Sloan Management Review, Fall
                    1997 which is an excerpt of the book "Microsoft Secrets" by the same
                    author.

                    Another good source of information is material on how Toyota does
                    new product development. Since Toyota is by far the most agile
                    automobile developer, I think you can learn a lot from how they
                    develop products. Some of the more relevant articles are:

                    The Second Toyota Paradox: How Delaying Decisions Can Make Better
                    Cars Faster, Sloan Management Review, Spring `95, Allen Ward,
                    Jeffrey Liker, John Cristiano, Durward Sobek

                    Another Look at how Toyota Integrates Product Development, Durward
                    Sobek, Jeffrey Liker, Allen Ward, Harvard Business Review, July-
                    August, 1998.

                    Toyota's Principles of Set-Based Concurrent Engineering, Sloan
                    Management Review, Winter `99, Sobek, Allen, Liker

                    You basically need access to a business library to get at these
                    articles, but they are very good.

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Jonas Bengtsson" <jonas.b@h...> wrote:
                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I'm going to write a paper about product-lines (for a course called
                    > product-line architecture). So I thought of writing about how
                    product-lins
                    > are managed in agile development. Most literature I've read state
                    that a
                    > planned BDUF is the only way to go.
                    > * Are there any articles etc that describes how to deal with
                    product-lines
                    > in agile development?
                    > * Does anyone have any experiences with product-lines in agile
                    development?

                    > Thanks in advance,
                    > Jonas
                  • Jonas Bengtsson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 25, 2002
                      Thank you Mary!
                      I found all the articles except "Another Look at how Toyota Integrates
                      Product Development". I will look into all the articles later!

                      /Jonas