Wright Brothers were Scrummers!

  • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2003
      I've been watching the PBS series on the Wright brothers and their
      path to developing a flying machine. I'm struck by how tightly their
      actions fit with Scrum and Test Driven Development.

      - They studied all the known theories and experiments first, but did
      not disregard their own experiences from bicycle building.

      - Having some ideas for lift & wing shape they constructed a test
      setup that allowed them to measure lift generated by different wing
      profiles, without having to construct a whole airplane to test each.

      - They systematically worked the problem of flight control by
      personally flying the machine, revising the next experiment based on
      findings.

      While others were building an aircraft all in one go, based on an
      untested idea, and often getting killed when they'd attempt to fly the
      thing, the Wrights used incremental development and carefully checked
      out their ideas against reality in tiny steps. And they got to the goal
      first.

      Many (all??) technology "firsts" have followed this type of path. The
      Apollo moon mission comes to mind. It seems that when success REALLY
      matters, people can see that agile is the low risk way to get there.
      Ironic.
      - njv
      << Ask me about Embedded XP >>
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 16, 2003
        On Sunday, November 16, 2003, at 2:27:51 AM, Nancy Van Schooenderwoert wrote:

        > I've been watching the PBS series on the Wright brothers and their
        > path to developing a flying machine. I'm struck by how tightly their
        > actions fit with Scrum and Test Driven Development.

        Very nice analogy, Nancy, well drawn!

        Analysis kills spontaneity.
        The grain once ground into flour germinates no more. -- Henri Amiel