Re: Scrum training

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Hundermark"
      <peterh@...> wrote:

      > Forgive me if I've missed a previous thread - I did tried to
      search...

      > Why are there so few Product Owner courses? It seems Ken Schwaber
      and
      > Mike Cohn offer 2 or 3 CPO courses per year. A few other CST's
      offer
      > product owner training. Compare this with about 40 CST's offering
      > dozens (hundreds?) of CSM courses annually.
      >
      > It strkes me as a little odd that there is an established industry
      that
      > churns out thousands of CSM's (many of whom never practise),
      whilst
      > PO's are largely ignored.
      >
      > Is there something I don't 'get'?
      >
      > Peter

      The need for the product owner varies a lot depending upon whether
      the software organization is a product type organization (creating
      something sold) or an IT organization (creating something used
      internally). Many software organizations actually have the role of
      the product owner reasonably understood, but have no clue as to how
      to really organize a product backlog or how to break stories up into
      right sizes.

      We offer a course called "Agile Estimation and Analysis For
      Developers and Product Owners" see
      (http://www.netobjectives.com/courses/agile-estimation-analysis-
      developer-product-owner) which is a team based approach to analysis
      in a Scrum environment. We have found a team based approach to
      analysis to be very useful in the same way our team based approach
      to teaching Scrum is (Implementing Scrum For Your Team). In other
      words, instead of focusing on how to train _a_ project
      leader/facilitator (the Scrum Master) or _a_ voice of the customer
      (the Product Owner) we find a team based approach to training works
      much better.

      How to fill the role of the product owner itself when it is not
      present is typically very different for different organizations. In
      many of these cases, once the problem is understood, the team can
      usually figure out how to best fill the role better than an outsider.

      I find it ironic that a team based approach focuses so much on two
      (admittedly key) roles.

      Alan Shalloway
      CEO, Net Objectives
      www.netobjectives.com