Re: Tracebility

  • gddrennan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
      Having come from a previous environment (the US military) where we
      experienced frequent personnel turn-over I can relate to
      bennyou.cpt's situation.

      One of the ways that we used to maintain the "history" of why
      decisions, designs or implementations were done a certain way was to
      have each project person keep a journal with daily reflections
      related to the project.

      When person "A" left the project, his or her journal was turned over
      to the person who replaced them. In this way we were able to pass
      on historical information that might otherwise have been lost.

      Were I to be involved in a similar situation today, instead of
      journals, I think I would encourage the team members to setup a blog.

      Having said all this, we don't have this problem at my current
      employer as the teams I work with work on 3-4 week sprints
      (depending on which project you look at) and so completing the
      stories doesn't drag on long enough for us to encounter team member
      turn-over.

      Gregg

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, srinivas chillara
      <ceezone@...> wrote:

      > There are only the (at the most four) artifacts
      > generated by Scrum:
      > 1. Product Backlog
      > 2. Sprint Backlog
      > 3. Burndown chart
      >
      > So if the product backlog is maintained, how can
      > things/stories go missing, these items are tracked,
      > and so are the tasks that are being done, in a sprint
      > backlog?
    • Michael Vizdos
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
        Ahhh the slippery slope of "traceability."

        One of the questions to ask yourself is, "Who is requiring this?"

        And another... "What value is this to the team?"

        If this is in fact valuable to the team (not some exec who will not show up to a stand-up meeting), then build it into each of your story estimates and make it very visible that this costs time for the team.  Yes, I know... sometimes the auditors have a field day with this topic.  But... maybe work with your auditors to see what is really needed.  The conversation may be eye opening :).

        I discussed this topic in a blog entry (with a test of a podcast on it!) here:

        http://www.implementingscrum.com/cartoons/cartoons_files/implementingscrum-20070409.html

        - mike vizdos
          www.implementingscrum.com
          www.michaelvizdos.com

        On 5/31/07, bennyou.cpt1 <bennyou.cpt@...> wrote:

        I also have a concern with reagards to Tracebility.
        With Scrum principles I tend to believe that requirements are gathered
        with a more of a just-in-time approach using User Stories as
        placeholders for converstaions to take place at a later stage.

        My concern is as follows, I am working on a ongoing project, where
        there is a high turnover of members of the project (and perhaps I am
        answering/or exposing a bigger problem). There is a loss of IP and
        retionale for some of the decisions made. And thus there is a loss in
        tracibility.

        I feel that the Product Backlogs and Story Points are not enough to
        address these issues. Has anyone else experieced anything similar or
        have any suggestions to retain the intellectual property?

      • Nicholas Cancelliere
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007

          Why is the turnover on your project so high?  It would seem like a risk or a challenge regardless whatever methodology you use.

          Why do you believe writing down requirements will make anything better in terms of understanding?

          Nicholas

          On May 31, 2007, at 3:11 AM, bennyou.cpt1 wrote:

          I also have a concern with reagards to Tracebility.
          With Scrum principles I tend to believe that requirements are gathered
          with a more of a just-in-time approach using User Stories as
          placeholders for converstaions to take place at a later stage.

          My concern is as follows, I am working on a ongoing project, where
          there is a high turnover of members of the project (and perhaps I am
          answering/or exposing a bigger problem). There is a loss of IP and
          retionale for some of the decisions made. And thus there is a loss in
          tracibility.

          I feel that the Product Backlogs and Story Points are not enough to
          address these issues. Has anyone else experieced anything similar or
          have any suggestions to retain the intellectual property?

        • Peter Hundermark
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Christiane Kuntz-Mayr"
            <christiane.kuntz-mayr@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > we would like to exchange ideas how other companies ensure full
            > implementation/tracebility of all selected requirements in Scrum
            > projects:

            I find the responses posted by David H, Cheenie, Mike and Nicholas
            apt and helpful.

            I would add two thoughts:

            1. Real documentation/traceability needs can be addressed in the
            team's definition of DONE. But this should not be allowed to become a
            vehicle for the 'agile police' to hijack the project :-).

            2. Alitair Cockburn has proposed: "Software development is a (series
            of) cooperative game(s), in which people use markers and props to
            inform, remind and inspire themselves and each other in getting to
            the next move in the game. The endpoint of the game is an operating
            software system; the residue of the game is a set of markers to
            inform and assist the players of the next game. The next game is the
            alteration or replacement of the system, or creation of a neighboring
            system."
            (http://alistair.cockburn.us/index.php/Cooperative_game_manifesto_for_
            software_development)

            It is often not easy to know what 'markers' to formalise and retain,
            but IMO 'requirements' documents are neither necessary nor sufficient.

            Peter