Re: Bugs from previous Iteration

  • Kier
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
      Dave et al,
      The real problem is that we don't have our customers as involved as we
      should. Our BA's talk to our customers and our PO talks to our Sales
      & Marketing folks to determine user needs.

      We are just now heading into our first iteration using scrum so it is
      possible that the usual post-release bugs will not materialize using
      the Scrum methodology.
      In Waterfall it was inevitable that there would be a handful of tweaks
      to be made post-delivery.

      On this particular product we also have no automated testing either.
      One of these days ...

      Cheers,
      Kier
      Jacksonville, FL
    • Nicholas Cancelliere
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007

        This depends on how bad the bug is.  Is your customer willing to wait until the defect is planned, to be worked on.  Or are they so angry they're ready to quit tomorrow?

        In any case you'll have to end up dealing with the defect (either unplanned in the current iteration, or planned in the next).  Defects become a "debt" on your productivity, and if the quality is poor you'll find yourself scheduling more defects than features (or your velocity is lower because in a given sprint there are any number of unplanned defects to be worked on).

        Do you usually have a lot of in-production defects?  Are they usually critical or just minor things?  Do you practice TDD or any XP methods that might help reduce the errors in production?

        Nicholas

        On May 31, 2007, at 6:02 PM, Kier wrote:

        Let's say that an iteration is complete and delivered to customers.

        While working on the next iteration several bug reports come in from
        the delivered code.

        Should we fix those in the current iteration even though they weren't
        planned or should we wait and prioritize them in the next iteration.

        I was thinking that I could have a Programmer and BA in reserve to
        handle such issues.

        Please give your opinions...

        Sincerely,
        Kier