Re: First week of a Sprint

  • Kane Mar
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Nicolette"

      http://kanemar.com/2005/11/03/the-staggered-iterative-waterfall-anti-pattern-part-1/
      > and I have an article about it here
      > http://www.davenicolette.net/articles/slouching_towards_waterfall.html.

      I'd like to point out that your excellent article provides far more
      context information whereas mine just talks about the specific
      problem. For those interested in reading these articles, I'd recommend
      that both be read together.

      Best regards,
      Kane Mar
      B: http://www.KaneMar.com
      W: http://www.Danube.com
    • Kane Mar
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Kier" <kieroneil@...> wrote:

        > Thank you everyone for your responses.
        >
        > We are new to it and I'm the only person that knows Scrum & Agile more
        > than a little.
        >
        > The mindset here is still firmly in Waterfall but we have agile-like
        > tendencies.
        >
        > If I can get them through a couple of iterations I'm sure it's going
        > to get wide acceptance.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Kier

        I've found that breaking the habit of thinking in Waterfall is
        something that's very difficult to do. Part of the problem is that, on
        the surface, arguments for waterfall make sense. It makes sense that
        we would want to make sure everyone is fully occupied for the duration
        of a sprint.

        But for any complex system we can only optimize along one variable and
        Scrum is optimized for having high quality code in production. I would
        resist the tendency to optimize the team, and let *them* figure out
        how to best use their time to deliver the work that they've committed to.

        Hope that helps. Best regards,
        Kane Mar
        B: http://www.KaneMar.com
        W: http://www.Danube.com