Who is John Scumniotales? - Researching the History of Scrum

  • David H.
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2007
      Hello.

      I am trying to assemble a fairly complete timeline on Scrum and its
      History for one of your company internal courses. I read up on most of
      the literature out there, in some articles (like on CMC's website)
      John Scumniotales is mentioned as one of the co-creators of Scrum. Is
      that correct? Is there any kind of document I can read to better
      understand his involvement?

      Thank you

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
    • Michael James
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2007
        I saw some materials of his a couple years ago and was struck by how
        different they were from what we call Scrum now. It seemed to be
        some kind of blend between iterative and phasewise development.

        I didn't see him talk, so I suppose I could have misinterpreted the
        materials.

        Jeff may have more details.

        --mj, ScrumWorks salesman
        http://danube.com/blog/michaeljames
      • Gabrielle Benefield
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2007

          He now works at Pacific Edge (or I think that’s their current name).  They build the portfolio management software Mariner.  Nice guy although the product is pretty traditional in it’s implementation.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2007
          • Jeff Sutherland
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2007
              John worked for me at Easel Corporation and was recruited to lead the
              team which became the first Scrum. After a few months with the team,
              John was appointed the first ScrumMaster in 1993. In 1995, I
              introduced Ken Schwaber to John's team after which Ken wrote the first
              Scrum paper for OOPSLA'95. The rest is history.

              There is a brief description of some of this in a book that will
              published sometime soon called "The Scrum Papers." Send me email if
              you want a copy.

              Jeff Sutherland

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:

              > Hello.
              >
              > I am trying to assemble a fairly complete timeline on Scrum and its
              > History for one of your company internal courses. I read up on most of
              > the literature out there, in some articles (like on CMC's website)
              > John Scumniotales is mentioned as one of the co-creators of Scrum. Is
              > that correct? Is there any kind of document I can read to better
              > understand his involvement?
              >
              > Thank you
              >
              > --
              > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
              > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
              accounts.

              > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
              > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

            • Narasimhan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2007
                I would like to have a copy of the same too..Thx.

                Narasimhan

                Jeff Sutherland wrote:

                John worked for me at Easel Corporation and was recruited to lead the
                team which became the first Scrum. After a few months with the team,
                John was appointed the first ScrumMaster in 1993. In 1995, I
                introduced Ken Schwaber to John's team after which Ken wrote the first
                Scrum paper for OOPSLA'95. The rest is history.

                There is a brief description of some of this in a book that will
                published sometime soon called "The Scrum Papers." Send me email if
                you want a copy.

                Jeff Sutherland

                --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "David H." <dmalloc@... > wrote:

                > Hello.
                >
                > I am trying to assemble a fairly complete timeline on Scrum and its
                > History for one of your company internal courses. I read up on most of
                > the literature out there, in some articles (like on CMC's website)
                > John Scumniotales is mentioned as one of the co-creators of Scrum. Is
                > that correct? Is there any kind of document I can read to better
                > understand his involvement?
                >
                > Thank you
                >
                > --
                > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
                > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
                accounts.

                > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
                > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

              • Heitor Roriz Filho
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 5, 2007

                  John Scrum-niotales

                  :o)

                  Enviada em: domingo, 3 de junho de 2007 23:34
                  Para: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

                  Jeff Sutherland wrote:

                  John worked for me at Easel Corporation and was recruited to lead the
                  team which became the first Scrum. After a few months with the team,
                  John was appointed the first ScrumMaster in 1993. In 1995, I
                  introduced Ken Schwaber to John's team after which Ken wrote the first
                  Scrum paper for OOPSLA'95. The rest is history.

                  There is a brief description of some of this in a book that will
                  published sometime soon called "The Scrum Papers." Send me email if
                  you want a copy.

                  Jeff Sutherland

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "David H." <dmalloc@... > wrote:

                  > Hello.
                  >
                  > I am trying to assemble a fairly complete timeline on Scrum and its
                  > History for one of your company internal courses. I read up on most of
                  > the literature out there, in some articles (like on CMC's website)
                  > John Scumniotales is mentioned as one of the co-creators of Scrum. Is
                  > that correct? Is there any kind of document I can read to better
                  > understand his involvement?
                  >
                  > Thank you
                  >
                  > --
                  > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
                  > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
                  accounts.

                  > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
                  > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

                  Esta mensagem, incluindo os seus anexos, contem informacoes confidenciais destinadas a individuo e proposito especificos, e e protegida por lei. Caso voce nao seja o citado individuo, deve apaga-la imediatamente. E terminantemente proibida a utilizacao, acesso, copia ou divulgacao nao autorizada das informacoes presentes neste email.  As informacoes contidas nesta mensagem e em seus anexos sao de responsabilidade de seu autor, nao representando ideias, opinioes, pensamentos ou qualquer forma de posicionamento por parte da Fundacao Desembargador Paulo Feitoza.

                  The information contained in this communication is confidential, is law protected, and is intended only for the business use of the addressee. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it. It's forbidden the unauthorized use, access, copy or disclose of the information contained in this communication.  The content of this message is responsibility of the author, and does not represent ideas, opinions, thoughts or any kind of statement of Fundacao Desembargador Paulo Feitoza.