top posting (was Yikes!)

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, David A Barrett <dave.barrett@...> wrote:

      > All the posts in the latest digest came out like this:
      >
      > [wall of sound]

      Yeah....

      That one was Yahoo's fault. Must be one of those untested
      PHP scripts I keep reading about.

      In general, the digest would be easier to read if we all broke the
      habit of what's called "top posting" in newsgroups. Rather than
      reposting entire threads with each response, consider quoting
      just the immediately relevant portion.

      --mj, Scrum Trainer, etc.
      http://danube.com/blog/michaeljames
    • Emiliano Heyns
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2007
        On 5/31/07, Michael James <michael@...> wrote:

        In general, the digest would be easier to read if we all broke the habit of what's called "top posting" in newsgroups.  Rather than reposting entire threads with each response, consider quoting just the immediately relevant portion.

        Ditto on that! It's annoying enough that Yahoo includes adverts in table-formatted html posts.

        Emile
      • Oldfield, Paul (ASPIRE)
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2007
          (responding to Michael)

          > Rather than reposting entire threads with each
          > response, consider quoting just the immediately
          > relevant portion.

          +1
        • Mark Levison
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2007
            On 5/31/07, Oldfield, Paul (ASPIRE) <Paul.Oldfield@...> wrote:
            (responding to Michael)

            > Rather than reposting entire threads with each
            > response, consider quoting just the immediately
            > relevant portion.

            +1

            Blame it on Gmail (and perhaps outlook and yahoo) all of which put tour cursor at the top of the message. It takes real effort not top post.

            I hereby promise not to top post anymore :-)

            Cheers
            Mark Levison
            Most Popular posts:
            Aperture vs. Lightroom - best comparisons
            http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/02/aperture_vs_lig.html
            Scrum in a Nutshell or 5 minutes to learn Scrum http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2006/11/scrum_in_a_nuts.html
            Getting Things Done!!! Can't Keep Track of all the tasks you have to do? Need a better Tool to Implement GTD? http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2006/12/getting_things_.html
          • Emiliano Heyns
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2007
              On 5/31/07, Mark Levison <mlevison@...> wrote:
              Blame it on Gmail (and perhaps outlook and yahoo) all of which put tour cursor at the top of the message. It takes real effort not top post.

              I'm using Gmail myself. It takes near zero effort to click below the point where your answer goes and start typing there. And unlike Outlook, Gmail dedents your text when you start typing in the quoted text.

              Regards,
              Emile