Re: Early conversation was: RE: [scrumdevelopment] newbie, some observations on user story and use case

  • Nicholas Cancelliere
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2007

      I agree with you - you don't want to worry about features until it's time to deal with them.  Srinivas indicated they enjoy user stories over use cases because they can more immediately discuss or have a conversation about the feature.  I imagine prior to this someone would go off and write a use case before anyone was willing to discuss it, which is less collaborative.  So I was commending the "quick conversational" nature (less formality) around working together than letting a use case stand in the way.

      So to answer your question - I am in favor of them having conversations.

      Nicholas

      On May 30, 2007, at 1:54 AM, Oldfield, Paul (ASPIRE) wrote:

      (responding to Nicholas)

      > You can still deal with your story on the "user story" basis - and
      > have that early conversation. (I think that's great, btw that you're
      > having those conversations earlier!)

      Sorry for being a bit picky - can you clarify here?

      I favour having the conversations 'just in time' on the grounds that
      the longer we leave it the more we know as a result of other
      work, and from feedback from that other work. Also, if we have
      those conversations earlier than we can do the downstream work,
      we'd need to store the output of those conversations somewhere
      until the downstream work can be done. That's unnecessary
      work, as far as I can see.

      Were you in favour of having the *conversations*, or in favour of
      having the conversations *earlier*?

      Paul Oldfield