RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: We want an SLA: item on the product backlog?

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2007

      SLA’s are funny creatures.  In theory they should be made by the Product owner to the customer, given that the product owner is part of the organization creating the product.  If however, the Product owner is the actual customer, then I would suggest that the team include a person whose domain is the legal and financial aspects of what you are providing.  Why?  In both scenarios the following three issues need to be considerd.

      First there is money involved and that is not something most development teams deal with, so you need a team member with that domain experience

      Second there are lawyers or at least the probability that lawyers are involved.  Better to have one as a team member so they can represent you appropriately.

      Finally there are sales and marketing people involved.  They have goals and objectives that may be in conflict with what you feel can be done.  This is where the impediment handling skills of the scrum master get expanded.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."