Re: mention of Scrum in "Software Development"

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 12, 2003
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...>
      wrote:
      > Mark:
      >
      > You probably missed it, but we have already *openly* admitted, several
      > times, for the lack of
      > good documentation of the Scrum engineering practices.

      Yes, I've seen the admissions just recently. :-)

      > Most of the information on these practices was found on web sites and
      > some OOPSLA papers,
      > btw.
      >
      > I'll give you examples of Scrum engineering practices:

      Based on the RUP disciplines (Business Modeling, Requirements,
      Analysis and Design, Implementation, Test, Deployment, Configuration
      and Change Management, Project Management, and Environment), I'd
      categorize the following:

      > Partitioning by vertical and horizontal packages

      High-level Design

      > Daily Build

      Implementation

      > Continuous Integration (constant checkins, integration, constant
      > testing, etc.)

      Configuration

      > Requirements Practices (Meetings, some have used Use Cases and CRC
      > cards over the years, etc.)

      Requirements, and Analysis

      > Regression Testing (script, or scriptless functional testing)

      Testing

      > Spot Testing (informal daily testing)

      Testing

      > etc.
      >
      > These were practices that have been in Scrum sites since at least 1996,
      > both at Jeff Sutherland old
      > TIAC and at http:///www.controlchaos.com,
      >
      > I have used in practice since then,
      >
      > - Mike

      Granted that this probably isn't an exhaustive list, but I don't
      see much in the area of design. More importantly, without the actual
      resources, I'm not sure at what level the best practices are
      documented. RUP provides an exhausive collection (which is probably
      both good and bad :-) of detailed guidelines for the workflows,
      artifacts, and roles.

      Now, I'll come to your defense. I've found that good methodologists
      are usually too busy developing useful software, and don't have
      time to document the methods in great detail. :-)

      Mark

    • Jeff Sutherland
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 14, 2003
        While I agree with Mike in general, it is of interest that the first Scrum
        was building an OOAD tool and we decided the team should eat their own
        dogfood. It was also the first round trip engineering tool.

        Every developer had the model of his components on his wall.

        Our senior consultant, Jeff McKenna, an ace Smalltalker, would walk into a
        cube and an hour later the model was in shreds on the floor. He had shown
        the developer how to refactor the model and eliminate half the code while
        enhancing performance and functionality.

        I've never seen another team that can operate at that level.

        Jeff